KEYUP MAKES JEEPS CPU/TRANSMISSION AND RPM'S ACT FUNNY

Have some other technical questions can't find the answer for? Come in and ask them here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2
Antenna: Dave made
Name: jay

KEYUP MAKES JEEPS CPU/TRANSMISSION AND RPM'S ACT FUNNY

Post by 704 » Wednesday, 11 May 2016, 13:34 PM

Whenever I key up on some bands, not all radios i have do this, and some do, but my favorite radio the galaxy hml does this also on regular cb band sometimes idk y!?
some bands or radios is all the time and like my galaxy 33 it does it every blue moon why does this happen does anyone know, I have grounded everything but my radio, i can think of to the chassis of my 96 jeep cherokee country.
this never happened when i had only 350 watts now i have about 650-700 watts,
this has been happening for a while..
today I tried talking to mdyoungblood on my cobra 148gtl on LSB and my transmission started acting so screwy it scared me and it lasted for ten minutes when any other time it would only last as long as i spoke when keying up,
I gotta get this fixed before some REAL DAMAGE OCCURS i know its some sort of power reflect/short or something of that nature.
THANKS!
any and all help is appreciated thanks fellow CBRT'S in advance!

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Re: KEYUP MAKES JEEPS CPU/TRANSMISSION AND RPM'S ACT FUNNY

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 12 May 2016, 10:13 AM

It sounds like stray RF is getting into the computer. There is a load of info here you can search out on grounding and bonding. A couple of quick thoughts are power leads from the radio and amp to battery, check antenna and coax connections, ground/bond the hood with a strap or two, add a strap to the CPU under the hood, same with engine and exhaust pipe. Make sure the SWR is low and move any coax away from the CPU area. You'll get more out of the search.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 12 May 2016, 16:40 PM

I had the same thing happen one time. Mine was a simple antenna connection at the pl259 going to my amp. It had barely worked a little loose. I'd key the mic and the car would start jumping. AC would fail Etc..
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy 33 hml2
Antenna: Dave made
Name: jay

Post by 704 » Thursday, 12 May 2016, 19:00 PM

i found some low loss rf jumpers, that seemed to fix it but they(truckstop) only had 9 foot it messed my swr up but it went away so i bought a shorter one from amazon, i also noticed when i leave the amp out from under the seat and on the floor it doesn't happen and my swr's are lower so im on to something :idea: im thinking about putting my amp behind the console on the axle hump in the back seat plus there's 2 vents there to help cool this beast, even though it doesn't usually get too hot, but lately w this problem it has been touch and go,

thanks folks ill look up those straps and bonding techniques, have a good night

P.S mdyoungblood after i get this fixed well try again one day when we have more time i love that 148gtl but it doesn't have echo or the modulation my 33 hml has.

THANKS!

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Icom 746
Antenna: Sirio Vecotor 4K
Name: Sean McCarthy

Post by 222DBFL » Friday, 13 May 2016, 8:23 AM

Get some good coax from a good company like Belden, Times Microwave, Andrew, Commscope, Shireen, and some others. The truck stop coax normally isn't the best from what I have found. You may get lucky and find some with a good outer shielding, but most of it is not truly what it says it is. That is JMO. I could be incorrect, but from my experience with buying coax jumpers from the truck stop, especially the pre made ones, some are better than others as far as quality goes. The companies I posted above sell coax in different lengths with ends on them, and you will certainly get quality coax. Again this is JMO. But you get what you pay for most of the time. Hope this might help. You might be experiencing the issues you are because you have some computer stuff under the seat, or some wires that may run to the computer. Moving them away from that area will surely help with the RFI. Also adding ferrite chokes and some bonding of body parts as well as a good ground system will all help issues like you are having. Hope you get it all resolved. Mobiles can be finicky that is for sure. Especially newer ones!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic