Any metal detectorists?/

Hunting, Fishing, Football, Baseball, Nascar, Hockey, and any other sports interest.
start a foot ball pool etc.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Daddyroccop
Donor
Donor

Any metal detectorists?/

Post by Daddyroccop » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 12:43 PM

Just got a metal detector bounty hunter IV? Always seemed like an interesting and relaxing hobby..Any other coin shooters out there?
Mr. 713 in the Hudson Valley
Rollin Rock wavin a hand
"As a Man thinks in his Heart So He is."

WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM
WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM

coondog
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP GL by RA
Name: Jim

Post by coondog » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 13:03 PM

i have a Mel Fisher model.it is alot of fun metal detecting.i believe i need a new coil for mine so i"ll have to order one soon for the summer.i"ve found all sorts of stuff with mine.besides the cool stuff worth keeping i found alot of silver coins and my best find was 2 gold nuggets that weighed 1 gram each.i have to get my detector fixed so i can work that spot real good.whats nice is that i found them in the back yard out by the chicken coop.

TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee
Name: Dj

Post by TX_Dj » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 13:51 PM

I used to do a little in my youth. Never found anything terribly interesting, mostly just coins and bottle caps.

Good luck on the chicken coop goldmine :)

tireguy
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Name: Lonnie

Post by tireguy » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 14:06 PM

TX_Dj wrote:I used to do a little in my youth. Never found anything terribly interesting, mostly just coins and bottle caps.

Good luck on the chicken coop goldmine :)
Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are :D
I have a Bounty Hunter too, but haven't used it enough to know how it works. I found some rusty nails in my yard, and some pieces of wire in the horse lot, but I don't have a chicken coop so I guess gold would be too much to hope for :D .
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote !

Benjamin Franklin

Iceman270
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Uniden Grant XL
Name: Steven

Post by Iceman270 » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 14:22 PM

I Don't have a metal detector but I've always wanted to get me one. You never know what you may find with them. :D
Sparky's CB Shack - "Where Big Radios Are Born"

Daddyroccop
Donor
Donor

Post by Daddyroccop » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 15:09 PM

Chicken coop??? who would a thunk it!!!!! I gotta get me one of those!

Seriously, I have my 8 year old son out with me he loves to dig..A few modern coins and a lot of bottle caps so far, But I'M not giving up yet!
Rollin Rock wavin a hand

WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM
WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM

ksphotoguy
Donor
Donor

Post by ksphotoguy » Wednesday, 09 April 2008, 15:15 PM

I have been detecting since I was 13. I'm 43 now. I have a Whites XLT and DFX. I also have several Tesoro units. It is a lot of fun when you get on a good site. I have done real well on old Smoky Hill Trail campsites and a 7th Cavalry camp in my area. researching the history to increase my knowledge about each site is also a lot of fun. It also helped me get a better of idea where a hotspot might be at each site. Have also done a lot of coin hunting along the way and found a few neat coins and doo-dads. My favorite place to hunt for old coins is under an old sidewalk when it's being replaced. Find a lot of indian head pennies and seated liberty and barber dimes under them.. It's a great hobby for all kinds of folks. If ya haven't done it yet , you oughta give it a go. You won't regret it.

coondog
Donor
Donor

Post by coondog » Thursday, 10 April 2008, 13:13 PM

yea i told the better half once we get a new coil were gonna try that spot again and if we get lucky the coop comes down.well the look she gave me :twisted: i could tell the coop stays (we"ll see :lol:).we have a river out back that i would like to try because with all the bends in it and with finding 2 nuggets up top we might get lucky.i gonna take a magnut and see if i can find any metal particles around the bends and where ever there is any other interference that holds up the current.black soil and metal particles are what you want to start off with.

here"s a couple of pics of the river,sorry,no mobil set up down there, :lol: :lol:the hill in back is the back of propity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Daddyroccop
Donor
Donor

Post by Daddyroccop » Thursday, 10 April 2008, 13:20 PM

Good deal there coondog..if ya need help panning for gold..you let me know!!
Rollin Rock wavin a hand

WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM
WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM

coondog
Donor
Donor

Post by coondog » Friday, 11 April 2008, 0:16 AM

Daddyroccop wrote:Good deal there coondog..if ya need help panning for gold..you let me know!!
thats an idea also that i should try.theres got to be more nuggets.i can"t see just finding 2 on the 7 acres i have and the river.on the river bank about a couple of years ago i detected and dug up a 3 sided calvery saber.it was about 2ft down.we do have alot of history with the calvery using this river.

Daddyroccop
Donor
Donor

Post by Daddyroccop » Friday, 11 April 2008, 4:51 AM

Sounds like you got yourself a great spot on the river...Keep digging!!
Rollin Rock wavin a hand

WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM
WWW.SPARKYSCBSHACK.COM

tireguy
Donor
Donor
Radio: Many
Name: Lonnie

Post by tireguy » Friday, 11 April 2008, 5:11 AM

You got a neat spot there coondog, and right in your back yard. It doesn't get any better than that.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote !

Benjamin Franklin

coondog
Donor
Donor

Post by coondog » Saturday, 12 April 2008, 4:12 AM

when i mentioned about the saber its actually a bayonet for the end of a rifle.i"ll have to find where i put it and take a pic of it.this area has a lot of history.the town of Memphis was actually bought from a indian chief way back then.we have a old house over town that has a indian lookout post thats on the roof.of course the whole house is renovated now.

the one pic where you see that culvert well thats only a couple of years old and what sucks about how they put it in it changed how the current runs.the current is now directed around that bend towards our property and under cuts our trees on the bank.we lost alot of trees because of that but with alot of trees still there you can actually reach up under through the roots to the bank.

i think that might be a good spot to try out with a detector and pan there also.the river gets really shallow in alot of spots in the summer and i mean like only a few inches.the old folks around town say there"s history of a indian burial ground out in the woods behind us but who knows where.i forgot to mentioned that along the banks i found alot of wheaty pennys on the short times i tried detecting a couple of years ago.i can"t wait to start spending alot of time working for gold in thar hills, :lol:

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: loud & proud
Name: Jeran Goodwin

copper culture

Post by SUBWAY » Sunday, 13 April 2008, 20:10 PM

I agree detecting is a blast. I currently don't have a detector but have used both white and fisher brands in various models. Also have detected water and land. My dad and uncle are in it big time. Dad just started his own site with some of his finds, ie: copper artifacts, jewelry, junk. He has a few pics and some other neat stuff. www.treasuredigs.com the site is up and running but he is still working on it. Check it out and as he would say "digger deep"

Okie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Okie » Friday, 14 November 2008, 19:04 PM

Since the replies have mentioned gold and panning I thought I would post a few pictures of my son and I dredging for gold and what we found.
I would like to have a good detector to take along next year.

This picture shows that this gold is not smooth and riverworn.Very rare to find gold like this in Colorado.

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: loud & proud
Name: Jeran Goodwin

Re: Any metal detectorists?/

Post by SUBWAY » Monday, 02 March 2009, 0:04 AM

Well bad news for metal detectorists in Wisconsin. A new Department of Natural Resources "Archeologist" has taken it under his own power to pass a new set of laws for metal detectorists in Wisconsin. Basically what it says is that the only places you can detect are your own private lands. No public land at all! If caught you can lose your car and anything else to do with metal detecting. Also it could be classified as a felony with large fines and up to 10 years. The National and State Metal detecting Association has recently hired a lobbyist to fight this. What it comes down to is this guy wanting the claim on all artifacts and the sole rights on finding them. Hopefully it will work out. Until then keep swingin!!!!!

NCMidnight
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by NCMidnight » Sunday, 15 March 2009, 13:55 PM

I've always been interested in metal detecting as well as history in general. As a kid growing up my brother and I used to go hang out with our cousins in Fredricksburg/Spotsylvania VA every summer on our uncles farm.. We used to ride our bikes in these strange "half pipe" indents throughout the woods 200yards from the main house. Later as we got older we put two and two together and realized that these particular indents were Union trenches from Wilderness battlefield one of the 3 Major battles fought all around the area.

Being private property and legal I asked my uncle a few years ago if it would be ok if I played around the area with his detector.(Fisher Is all I know about it) It wasnt a challenge by any means but I did find a lot of amazing(to me anyway) stuff. I have a trip planned for this summer to take my wife and son back to do some more detecting and exploring. My wife and I have visited every major Civil war battlefield ourselves but our son gives us a reason to do it again. I'm looking into buying a new metal detector for myself personally (probably not a fisher now that I've noticed what they cost lol) if anyone has any information or suggestions on type and brand Im all ears. Below are a few pictures of some of the stuff I found in my early 20's that were in a box I got from my parents house yesterday that I've had for many years now and I wanted to share them with whoever may be interested.

These items came from a main Union trench. Notice all the sabo's are led(confederate) looking from the left to right. The second row is one Union/brass sabo round I found. Next are grape shot and field artillery round fragments. Last are an anchor stake for a field piece, Pin for artillery wagon, spoon, CSA belt buckle, artillery wrench, and chisel.

xasp
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Name: JONATHAN

Post by xasp » Tuesday, 07 April 2009, 7:40 AM

Hello, i have been detecting for about three years now and love it. The detector of choice for me is the White's brand----->http://whiteselectronics.com/index.php Currently i own two of them, E-series XLT and a QXT Pro. My next one will be the newest in the White's line up, The Vision. I will have to wait a year or two for the price to drop... 1600.00 Anyway, check them out and good hunting. Jon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic