SWR help/ Galaxy DX959

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
JetSetter
Handle: JetSetter/822
Antenna: 11m Dipole, PAT-12, Browning BR-28
Radio: RCI-2995DXCF

SWR help/ Galaxy DX959

Post by JetSetter »

Hello CBRT. Some of you may know I'm working on a antenna setup. The one I am basically working on is a Firestick Firefly. Just to get me talking, For now. I just have it sitting in the high point of my house. So why is it, when I try to tune my antenna. With my new swr meter. A Workman swr-3p. But it does not seem to match my radios swr. My radio will read 1.5, the swr will not move. But if i adjust the knob. it moves.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: SWR help/ Galaxy DX959

Post by 295 antenna »

i also have a 959 and its auto.It matches a bit lower that my external swr meter. What knob are you moving ?
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

I'm turning the knob on the right side of the swr meter.

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

On a 959 the SWR is self calibrating so there is no knobs to turn. You said the antenna is just sitting, what kind of counterpoise are you using? The radiating Firestick Firefly is only half the antenna, on a car the car becomes the other half. You could try stretching a couple of wires from the base of the antenna across the floor to make a counterpoise, the more the better.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

MDYoungblood wrote: January 11th, 2018, 8:48 am On a 959 the SWR is self calibrating so there is no knobs to turn. You said the antenna is just sitting, what kind of counterpoise are you using? The radiating Firestick Firefly is only half the antenna, on a car the car becomes the other half. You could try stretching a couple of wires from the base of the antenna across the floor to make a counterpoise, the more the better.

3's

Greg
As of now. I just lean it up against a wall( Probably not good) or stand it up on the kitchen table. Here is the base of my antenna.
http://i66.tinypic.com/1571342.jpg

So are you saying add wire to make it stable, or something else.

From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Beachbum24 wrote: January 12th, 2018, 8:32 am
MDYoungblood wrote: January 11th, 2018, 8:48 am On a 959 the SWR is self calibrating so there is no knobs to turn. You said the antenna is just sitting, what kind of counterpoise are you using? The radiating Firestick Firefly is only half the antenna, on a car the car becomes the other half. You could try stretching a couple of wires from the base of the antenna across the floor to make a counterpoise, the more the better.

3's

Greg
As of now. I just lean it up against a wall( Probably not good) or stand it up on the kitchen table. Here is the base of my antenna.
http://i66.tinypic.com/1571342.jpg

So are you saying add wire to make it stable, or something else.
Not going to say it will improve it much but try a couple of wires off the bottom bolt on that mount, stretched out to the left and right, it should help with the SWR. Inside a dipole would work better in my opinion but still not as well as one outside. I don't think the Firefly model is FireStik's NGP (no ground plane) antenna.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

Going to plan B. Just to try it out, For fun and games. I have to fix my coax first. Then I'm going to try putting my Pat-12 standing straight up in the living room. But once spring comes. I will put it in the backyard, and try to get it up 4-5 feet on a pipe or something. See what that sounds like. First have to get through this chicago winter

From the land of Lincoln