5 Element Beam/Coax Length

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: IMAX 2000/Maco Comet
Radio: DX2517 & Mark IV

5 Element Beam/Coax Length

Post by RodinKy »

Bought a beam from an individual and it has about 100 ft of RG8 coax attached, which is about 60ft more than I need. I was told by the previous owner not to shorten it because it would change the SWR. Is this true?
PA629

Re: 5 Element Beam/Coax Length

Post by PA629 »

If coax length changes SWR, then you have other issues with the antenna system's tuning. Changing coax length can make you see a different reading on an SWR meter, but it's simply a band-aid, not a cure. Coax length is just another 11 Meter Myth.
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor
Handle: Slim Pickins
Call Sign: VE1PEW
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457

Post by Slim Pickins »

There is a pretty good chance you will see a change in SWR just by swapping the entire setup from his place to yours. There are a lot of factors that can affect what you see on a meter. Just put it up with the cable you need and tune for best performance at your location.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Like the others said, coax shouldn't change the SWR but you will probably be taking the antenna apart to transport it to your house. If you don't have a manual to put it back together you can most likely find it on the antenna manufacturer's website or CB Tricks. I would take a real good look at the old coax and since you only need half buy a new 50ft length, would be better off with new to start out fresh.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department