Antenna tower guide wire

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Antenna tower guide wire

Post by smoke blower »

I have a question about guide wires going to my tower. My question is should I have insulators between the wire and the tower. I feel like I am not getting out as good as I should and I had a friend come by this weekend and he said the problem could be that I don't have the guide wires insulated from the tower. It is a 60' Tower with a set of Maco shootingstars and my guide wires are either stainless steel or galvanized I had a friend give me a spool of guide wire from Dominion Power that they use to support poles. I just wrapped the wire around the tower and put cable clamps on them and they are running to 20' 6x6 poles. I have some insulator rods of some sort they are like 10' or 12' long there fiberglass they are also from The power company.

-- Sunday, 26 February 2017, 16:04 PM --

Should I be using the fiberglass rods to insulate the guide wires from the tower or does it not really make any difference
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Antenna tower guide wire

Post by sonoma »

I have ran a tower with insulators and with out. never noticed a big difference in the antenna performance my self . others may have seen a problem. main thing is what is your SWR.
I always kept the guy wires about 10 foot from the top of the tower also.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

My Swr is 1.1 on the flat side and 1.5 on the vertical side and guide wires are about 10' or so from the top of the tower also. So I quess there is nothing to worry about
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Antenna tower guide wire

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Depending on what type of guy wire you use, whether or not you would need to use insulators...

I used Phillystran guy wire on mine, and if you use that you don't need insulators since the wire is coated in a plastic type stuff. Plus it's lighter and stronger than the steel wire that is of equal diameter...(cost a bit more tho)

Google Phillystran guy wire...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

How high above the tower top is the antenna, that could explain he SWR on the vertical side. As far as interfering with the antenna, I really don't see it happening.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

The antenna is like 10 to 12' above where the guide wires connect to the tower. The guide wire is galvanized like 1/4" round it is from Dominion Power the wire they use to help support poll's a friend that works there gave it to me.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay I understand the cable you are using and how you have it installed. I would keep an eye on where the cable is on the tower, the antenna turning and wind load can cause a sawing action there cutting through the thin tower tubing. The higher SWR can be explained by the lower driven element at the tower getting closer to the triangle as it turns. You can see what I mean by checking the SWR with that element close to the tower tube and then check it where it's farthest away.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

OK that's great thanks and I will keep an eye on it.