Which dipole

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
cliff hanger
Donor
Donor

Which dipole

Post by cliff hanger »

This is the first post I've made. I live in a small valley in Oregon surrounded by hills. I'm using a galaxy 2547, 100 watt amp, and a sirio gps 27 5/8 wave antenna mounted 20 ft off the ground. This works great for local but not dx. Looking at a dipole but as they are semi directional I don't know if a horizonal wire dipole or a sirio d27 with a small rotor would work best. I have a spare 24 Ft mast I could install.I was into cb back in the early 60's. Back then my call sign was KPC 0722. Skip was easy to work back then. Any imput wii be appreciated
Deleted User 14541

Re: Which dipole

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The performance will be about the same between the 2 but it's easier to rotate the sirio and it doesn't need to have the ends supported. For the price I would build my own dipole.
G9L
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by G9L »

Hello. Your problem are the hills. A vertical antenna will radiate at between 10 to 30 degrees. If the signal hits the hills it won't go any further. I concur that the dipole probably won't be any different. Not only that, but you will lose your local range with a horizontally polarized antenna, unless your buddies also use horizontal antennas, and that would not be the case for mobiles. The losses between a vertically and horizontally polarized antennas are around 20db, that's 100x less signal RX/TX. I would suggest keeping your vertical antenna. Maybe try a half wave end fed, 17ft vertical with an end fed tuner at the bottom.

To go past the hills, if they surround you, you would need a horizontal dipole but for a lower frequency, between 3.5 and 7mHz for NVIS, and that means a Ham radio and Ham license.

Gil.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I think there are still going to be times when a horizontal dipole will be an advantage for DX. Most of us have enough scraps laying around to build one so I would at least give it a try.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello cliff hanger,
Welcome to the forum. Making a dipole is easy and fun, here are a couple of examples.
st_dipole_configs.png
You can search out the dimensions on the web,there are calculators for frequency to length. The inverted V is the most practical because the lower ends help the impedance of the antenna. With you being in Oregon positioning the ends of the dipole north and south will give a signal east and west, should cover most of the USA.
I see you are a new member, could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
cliff hanger
Donor
Donor

Post by cliff hanger »

I plan on keeping my verticle antenna for local. I will put up another mast and another antenna. I have a yeasu rotor i will use on the second mast, i'm wondering what antenna to us for dx. It doesn't have to be a dipole, could be a moxom or small horizonal beam if these would work better, just looking for answers. I've got another 24 ft mast I can put up.I receive skip from east and south but can't reach back with my set-up. This valley is like a bowl about a mile wide. and the hills surround it. The hills are only about 800 ft high. I know skip is hit or miss but my set-up is all miss. any suggestions will be helpful. I wll post on the welcome tomorrow. Thanks
HomerBB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: Homer, 2WR183, Country Preacher
Call Sign: K5HBB
Radio: IC-746

Post by HomerBB »

I realize this thread is a little aged, but wanted to offer my viewpoint on it for future help.

Whether you build it or buy it, the Moxon would be an excellent choice. It is small, lightweight, and has good gain with excellent rejection to the sides and back. If its DX you wish to work, the directional gain will give you an advantage over the bi-directional dipole at 26' height.
That said, two inexpensive fishing poles mounted opposite each other on a PVC tee and short PVC nipples with a, $4 extension cord split in two will have a self supporting dipole in the air in a few minutes.

Cutting off the female block of a 9' household extension cord and spreading the two conductors results in an instant dipole. Connect the feedline to the two male prongs of the cord, and tune by turning back each end of the wires equally.
Put a female cord receptacle on the end of the feedline and plug your dipole in it for easy portability
It's Not Crazy, If It Works
The 11 Meters MacGyver