Good antenna for a small car?

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

fryer
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX 959
Name: Colton Stiles

Good antenna for a small car?

Post by fryer » Monday, 06 June 2016, 9:15 AM

So I haven't had a radio in my vehicles since my focus was totaled out About 4 years ago. I'm recently picked up a few radios from my wife's grandfather's estate and was thinking about putting them in our current cars, a Chevy cobalt and an 06 Mazda mpv.
In the focus I had a galaxy dx959 with a no-name trunk DaveMade mount and a 54" glass whip. It did the job, but I'm looking for a better antenna set up for the cobalt. I'm willing to drill holes in the trunk for a mount, but would like to avoid it if possible.
I've got a Royce 1-658 for the cobalt, still not sure where to mount it, and I'm thinking about picking up a small (100-200 watt) amp. Nothing serious. I thought about a 102" whip, I don't think the trunk DaveMade mount would hold up very well.
The Mazda is my wife's so I'd rather not drill into the body. I was thinking either a hatch mount (similar to one for a suburban) or a mount on the roof rack And a relatively short fiberglass or steel whip with a pace cb-143.
Any suggestions for these cars?
Thank you.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk
"Behind the downfall of every great man stands a cold hearted woman." CCRW

TrblShooter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: Zerofive colossal
Name: Pete

Re: Good antenna for a small car?

Post by TrblShooter » Monday, 06 June 2016, 9:58 AM

fryer wrote:So I haven't had a radio in my vehicles since my focus was totaled out About 4 years ago. I'm recently picked up a few radios from my wife's grandfather's estate and was thinking about putting them in our current cars, a Chevy cobalt and an 06 Mazda mpv.
In the focus I had a galaxy dx959 with a no-name trunk DaveMade mount and a 54" glass whip. It did the job, but I'm looking for a better antenna set up for the cobalt. I'm willing to drill holes in the trunk for a mount, but would like to avoid it if possible.
I've got a Royce 1-658 for the cobalt, still not sure where to mount it, and I'm thinking about picking up a small (100-200 watt) amp. Nothing serious. I thought about a 102" whip, I don't think the trunk DaveMade mount would hold up very well.
The Mazda is my wife's so I'd rather not drill into the body. I was thinking either a hatch mount (similar to one for a suburban) or a mount on the roof rack And a relatively short fiberglass or steel whip with a pace cb-143.
Any suggestions for these cars?
Thank you.

I have been out of the hobby for 20+ years and just recently got back into it after talking to my friends brother who rolled up with a setup a few weeks ago.. He got me started but saying yeah you should get back into it.. And here I am.. :lol: Back in the day I rolled with a general lee and wilson 5000 mag mount with some juice behind her.. Was a great antenna back then.. You do not have to get the 5000 but the wilson 1000 is a nice antenna espeically since you are going to run a small amp.. Recently though I was reading that wilson was having quality control issues at one time but heard that they were getting better.. Anyway, since I sold off all my gear and I was starting from scratch again, I went with a sirio turbo 5000 mag mount for the setup I am currently putting together.. Heard these antenna's were very good.. We will soon found out.... :) Good luck on your search for an antenna... I am sure there will be quite a few suggestions...

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 06 June 2016, 10:29 AM

Look at CB World, http://www.wearecb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , one of the forum sponsors, they have quite a selection on mounts to choose, the "Hustler HLM Heavy Duty Trunk DaveMade Mount" is a nice mount and with the 3/8" X 24 thread, any antenna can be used.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

fryer
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fryer » Monday, 06 June 2016, 12:47 PM

I'm avoiding a mag mount, had one year up the paint on the focus no matter how clean I kept it.
I liked the DaveMade mount I had, but all of them I've found say not to exceed 55" antennas. I was kind of looking forward to a 102". But looking at the inside, out doesn't look like there's much room for the back plate on a puck so I may have to go with a shorter antenna.
[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016060 ... 28630a.jpg[/img]
Not my picture, but that shows what I'm working with.
Thanks for the replies.

TrblShooter
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: Zerofive colossal
Name: Pete

Post by TrblShooter » Monday, 06 June 2016, 13:37 PM

fryer wrote:I'm avoiding a mag mount, had one year up the paint on the focus no matter how clean I kept it.
I liked the DaveMade mount I had, but all of them I've found say not to exceed 55" antennas. I was kind of looking forward to a 102". But looking at the inside, out doesn't look like there's much room for the back plate on a puck so I may have to go with a shorter antenna

Yeah, I hear you on the magnet mount, they tend to scratch or Mark up the paint.. So go with a DaveMade mount Wilson 1000 , should be more then enough with the little kicker you are planning to run. Let us know how you make out.. I may swap out my mag mount for a DaveMade mount now that you mentioned it.. Still have not decided yet..

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 06 June 2016, 14:04 PM

Some of the Sirio models have the trunk mount feature and a quick fold over, check them out on DNJ site, http://www.dnjradio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , yes he's a great sponsor too. The 5000 models are 78" long and plenty of bandwith.

3'3

Greg

The Second Amendment

fryer
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by fryer » Tuesday, 07 June 2016, 13:18 PM

Everything I've read says the sirio is about the best mobile antenna you can get, but it'd be a while before I could afford it, considering I'm just getting my car back on the road after about a year and a half. I might trade the pace for a half decent antenna and run that until I can afford the sirio. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting it in the van anyway.

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Name: Guy
Cell Phone: 504-231-8254

Post by DevilDog66 » Wednesday, 08 June 2016, 7:51 AM

fryer wrote:Everything I've read says the sirio is about the best mobile antenna you can get, but it'd be a while before I could afford it, considering I'm just getting my car back on the road after about a year and a half. I might trade the pace for a half decent antenna and run that until I can afford the sirio. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting it in the van anyway.

I can vouch for DNJ Radio when you are ready to buy your antenna. The customer service is great and very reasonable prices. IMHO, I'd would save up and get the Sirio, I have the 5000 Performer Fighter edition with the pl145 magnet mount on my 2014 Accord. The roof paint is not an issue if you get the Sirio magnet mount, it includes a rubber boot that covers the bottom of the magnet so paint damage is not an issue. The antenna is very good quality and well built you will not be disappointed. 73's :cheers:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic

milkman21218
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Many
Antenna: Many
Name: Izzy

Post by milkman21218 » Wednesday, 08 June 2016, 11:33 AM

I ran Wilson's 1000 & 5000 for over 15 years. And they are good antennas. But I've run Sirio PL 5000's Mag Mounts on my vans for 3 years. And they out perform Wilson's by several miles. They do cost a little more than the Wilson 1000 but worth it. It would pay to wait until you can purchase a Sirio. You will be glad that you did.
Central Maryland

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Wednesday, 08 June 2016, 11:38 AM

Yes Sirio is better than the others. A little more broad banded also.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

crock
Donor
Donor
Name: Charles A Rockwell
Cell Phone: 9492741773

Post by crock » Monday, 17 October 2016, 16:51 PM

What kind of coax would you recommend for the sirio with 100 watt amp?

443 Arizona
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona » Tuesday, 18 October 2016, 10:31 AM

well whatever you put on the wifes car you know will get FUBARED... wether its bullet proof or a simple mag mount,
oh honey i hit the antenna thingy when i was shopping and i dont know what happened to it, i tried to talk on it but it didnt work.
a can of peas got stuck to the magnet thingy and all of a sudden i could hear a jamaican talkin dirty. :r&r: wanted me to send him a dollar98 or something.... :lol:

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 18 October 2016, 10:36 AM

crock wrote:What kind of coax would you recommend for the sirio with 100 watt amp?
Sirio has 2 different magnet mounts, one uses RG58 and the other RG8X both would be fine for 100w. If you plan to go with more wattage in the future, choose the one with RG8X. Remember that it is slightly thicker coax so running it through door jams etc. it can be pinched/crushed more easily.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic