Today I blew a dummy load (w/pics)

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
Wolf Man
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29LTD Classic

Today I blew a dummy load (w/pics)

Post by Wolf Man »

Now this is funny to me.. was messing around and nuked my dummy load today. oh my if only you could smell it! mmm i love the smell of silicon in the morning! funny thing is i was putting 60W into a 60W dummy load. after nuking and disassembling it i cant help but notice it has 8x 5W resistors in it...... false advertising much?

Thats ok because now I can use this casing to build me a nice oil filled 150w dummy load :D
WOLF 213 Shootin from Portland Oregon
This ducks skippin south for the winter.
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Today I blew a dummy load (w/pics)

Post by Night Crawler »

Wolf Man wrote:Now this is funny to me.. was messing around and nuked my dummy load today. funny thing is i was putting 60W into a 60W dummy load. after nuking and disassembling it i cant help but notice it has 8x 5W resistors in it...... false advertising much?
I guess it was if it was advertised as a 60w load unless it stated at a 50% duty cycle. 8x5=40
Wolf Man
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29LTD Classic

Post by Wolf Man »

haha well it would make sense that they would advertise radios in pep and dummy loads in rms. Whatever sells the product right? but assuming they claimed 60W @ 50% duty cycle then they could easily claim it to be an 80W dummy load. They could have atleast filled the cannister with mineral oil to xfer the heat to the outer casing for better dissipation. If i were selling a 60W dummy load it would have 13x650ohm 5w resistors. Just to leave some headroom (about 5w) to ensure the longevity of the product, even @ 100% duty cycle. but its ok i bought that dummy before i got my amp and it did the job for testing my barefoot radio
WOLF 213 Shootin from Portland Oregon
This ducks skippin south for the winter.
Tucker442
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: 348
Call Sign: KD2JBL
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Yeticom Optima III, Yaesu FT 101E

Post by Tucker442 »

Glad to hear you didn't get any on you LOL have a fun weekend
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

Surplusgizmos in hillsboro has quite a few surplus high powered resistors for cheap if you want to rebuild it.. I've seen 50w and 150w, but most aren't 50ohm.. I'm not sure if they're wirewound or not (avoid wirewound resistors for dummy loads, inductive resistors are bad for this application)..

I'm borrowing that same type of dummy load.