Mr. Radioactive, RadioActive Radios

Want to shout someone a friendly 4 n 1. Do it here, and put their name in the hall of fame!
SmallTruckBigRadio

Mr. Radioactive, RadioActive Radios

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

I don't know what a "4 in 1" is, but I am very impressed with Mr. RadioActive, his work, his reputation (with those who really know him), and his great advice.
The more I think about what Mr. RadioActive says, the more it makes sense, the more I think about what most other technicians say, the more I doubt it.
Solid advice doesn't happen by accident.
He has made the way for me to get into a radio that I don't have to wonder about whether is sounds OK or not.
I don't ask for radio checks with doubt anymore. I ask for radio checks to show off!
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Yep, thats the way to do it !
SmallTruckBigRadio

Hey Phaze,

How's the TurboSuperWackpackedConnex 4600?

SWR's?

Is that Wilson 2000 behaving too?
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

I'm still not happy with the SWR's, running 1.5 across the board. I have to run 2 pieces of coax to get the length I need, so I am going to find 1 that will fit and I am not sure I like the mount. lookin for a new mount now. I am finding that I can get a long ways with this awsome radio but sometimes I cant and I wonder if another antenna would do more than use up money. Still thinkin about yours. lookin at others.
SmallTruckBigRadio

A good clean run of Mini-8 coax is worth having.
Beyond that it will be tough at this time to get a huge improvement on RX. You are already at the stage of near maximum receive for a mobile, and a whole bunch more transmit will probably get a bunch of people trying to answer you, that can't reach you.
I hope the SuperReceive on that Connex is as good as the RX on my General Lee. I think its the same circuit board design. If ANYBODY can get above the standard white noise level, I WILL hear them.
I am quite sure that I am at the limits of receive that Mother Nature, and the Laws of Physics will allow for AM radio.

I would skip the Mr. Coily Trucker, and do the 10K because you will then know you've reached "Old Milwaukee Commercial Levels" DON'T GET NO BETTER.... The Mr. Coily, and Predator dual coil antennas are both a step up. Antenna theory says that the larger cross section catches more RF.

But even then you'll be spending $80.00+ for a just barely noticable improvement. Then you'll have to worry about theft and breakage more.

Does anyone have a 102" whip you could borrow. The increased height and diameter should give you an example of what a Predator might do for you. You will need exactly 18 feet of coax with the 102, I think. Your ladder rack might freak out the SWR on the 102 though.

My "fishing pole" is supposed to arrive today. I might have a "wow" story to report soon.
bosshog

Post by bosshog »

RA your one heck of a guy to just send out your products like you do. you will be seeing some of my business soon. keep up the good work and thanks.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Talk about a old post being brought back to life! Thanks! I apprecaite that!
stickman

Post by stickman »

YEAH I'D SAY THAT IS A LITTLE OLD!! BUT HEY IT'S STILL IN THE SAME YEAR! ha!ha! JUST KIDDING, YEAH RA IS AN AWESOME GUY. LIKE SMALLTRUCKBIGRADIO STATED RA GIVES YOU EXCELLENT INFORMATION AND THE BEST PART IT'S FREE!!! ALL YEAH BUILDS SOME PRETTY GOOD DARN RADIOS AS WELL.
STICKMAN
SmallTruckBigRadio

Phaze's knowledge and equipment list has grown since then.