Which power mic to get?

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Biggie Z
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Which power mic to get?

Post by Biggie Z »

Hi, first time poster here, I wanted to buy a power mic so I was gonna pick up a new Cobra M75, but a buddy said he had a couple new old stock mics laying around he'd sell me if I want. One's an old Cobra CA-50 power mic made in Japan, the other was an old Diesel 2-4 power mic made in China. Should I take one of these older mics, or get the new M75 and do the resistor mod? I was also looking at getting one of the new D-104 hand mics, but folks are saying the new one's aren't so good and they don't have great reviews online. Thanks for any help.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Which power mic to get?

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Biggie Z,
Welcome to the forum, sorry it took so long to see a response. You had a selection of mics but didn't say what radio you want one on, just need a little more info. While you are posting how about a intro here; http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 .

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If it were me....I would get the RF Limited Extreme 2018...

But that's just me....I have 4.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Chrisnick »

I got the RF limited extreme. It's ok. Not as loud as I expected. The best feature is the talk back. Other wise I use the echo very little.
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

The older CA50 is a very good microphone - It's certainly better than the M75.

The only downside to the CA50 is that it uses a 7.5 volt battery which is a little harder to get than the normal 9 volt battery used in the M75.

I'd be getting the CA50 - it is a better microphone.
Biggie Z
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Biggie Z »

Thanks for info. It's going to be used on a Cobra 25.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I would agree with pabxone, the CA-50 is the better mic of the ones in your selection, would be excellent on a Cobra 25. 7.5v batteries aren't that hard to find here in the states, any camera store and wally world sells them.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

MDYoungblood wrote:I would agree with pabxone, the CA-50 is the better mic of the ones in your selection, would be excellent on a Cobra 25. 7.5v batteries aren't that hard to find here in the states, any camera store and wally world sells them.

3's

Greg
Guess I need to shop at your Wally World! Wally Worlds around here have a hard time keeping AA and AAA battery's in stock...Went in a few weeks ago to get some 9v battery's to change out the ones in my smoke detectors, and no where in the store did they have one 9v battery! :x
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.