old cobra coffin mics

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

old cobra coffin mics

Post by d-minus »

I was looking at buying some old cobra coffin mics and want to know if they are any good. Thanks for any help guys. D-minus
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: old cobra coffin mics

Post by 1206FL »

Yes they are a decent stock mic. I have one and it has nice clean clear audio. Not blazing loud or anything, just clean and clear. Don't spend a bunch on them. The uniden BMKG0637001 mics are a pretty good stock mic for use with most cobra 4 pin type radios. Use them on Galaxy radios and many others and always got good audio reports with this mic. Here is a photo of the mic I speak of. Image
Hope this helps.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A lot of old microphones used to be good. Time takes a toll on the elements and they may not sound as good as they once did. Especially if they were stored in a hot attic or any harsh environment.
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by d-minus »

Thanks guys. I will keep that in mind 543ft worth they said they have been in storage. 1206fl I will look into those mics. thanks for the picture. D-minus
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: I've got one on Cobra 25 that I always get great feedback on, it's my old standby mobile. If you find mics @ a good price like mentioned earlier, get them. JMHO.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Cobra wasn't the only brand that used the coffin mics, quite a few have them back in the day, just remember not everyone was wired like Cobra. At one time I had a large supply of them, were given to me by people I wired power mics for.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by d-minus »

O.K. the guy that has these cobra coffin mic also has some ranger sra-158 mic. He said he found thes in a closet in his house in a room where he used to do radio repair10-15 years ago. He is asking $18 each for either one would this be a fair price considering they have been in storage and would the ranger be a better mic. I see rangers on flea bay for 22.95
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I wouldn't pay $18 for any stock microphone. I've given a lot of them away to guys that needed a mic.
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

The sra-158 is an OK microphone - Nice to hold and use - Audio quality is OK but not outstanding - certainly on the one's I've tested here anyway.
They are a little less than $18 U$D retail from memory.

The Cobra coffin mikes if they are "new old stock" they would probably be worth $18.00 if they are the late 70's early 80's Cobra / Uniden style coffin microphones , If they are second hand I'd value them around $5 - $10 each.

Someone else mentioned that these Coffin style microphones were also used on a lot of other radio's other than the Cobra's.
Most of the better standard factory microphones were made in Taiwan , Hong Kong and Japan by Carole and I think the other big OEM microphone company was Merry but I could be wrong as it was a long long time ago.

The Astatic 636 is a good standard microphone , being a noise canceling microphone the Audio output level is not super loud , but they are a nice microphone , nice to hold and use , the audio quality is good and a worthy replacement for a standard factory microphone - But don't abuse them or drop them from a great height as the microphone cartridge is fragile - But spare parts for the 636 are easy to get - At around $22 the price is OK.

An overlooked Coffin microphone is the Workman CM4 - It's a direct copy of the old Cobra coffin mike , Feels the same to hold and use, Audio quality and output is good and if you look around you can find them for about $10 which is pretty good value for money.