2000 GTL w/ Turner Mic

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
cabo316
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: 2000GTL&138XLR

2000 GTL w/ Turner Mic

Post by cabo316 »

I have a 138XLR that has been used as a base at times. The base mic is a Turner+3, 4-pin. I now want to use the +3 on my 2000 GTL, which is 5-pin. Am I correct to wire 5-pin female...#1 Audio, #2 Shield, #3 Rx, #4 Common (jumped to #2), #5 Tx? Thx, Darryl B.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: 2000 GTL w/ Turner Mic

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Why don't you just get a 4 to 5 pin adapter and use? That way you can still use the Mic with your other 4 pin radios.. I payed less than $10 for two off the auction sites to use on my Cobra 2K...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cabo316
Donor
Donor

Post by cabo316 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:Why don't you just get a 4 to 5 pin adapter and use? That way you can still use the Mic with your other 4 pin radios.. I payed less than $10 for two off the auction sites to use on my Cobra 2K...
Staring at the obvious....didn't think about the adapter. Will now conduct my search. I need some inside work...and lots more coffee. Excellent advice, thanks. Darryl B.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

cabo316 wrote:I have a 138XLR that has been used as a base at times. The base mic is a Turner+3, 4-pin. I now want to use the +3 on my 2000 GTL, which is 5-pin. Am I correct to wire 5-pin female...#1 Audio, #2 Shield, #3 Rx, #4 Common (jumped to #2), #5 Tx? Thx, Darryl B.
That wiring is correct but on the 2000 chassis jumping pins 2 and 4 might cause a squeal, I know it happens with the D104. Funny thing about the adapters is they are wired exactly the same way but don't squeal.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

They also make a pig-tail adapter, I also have one of those and like it better than the regular adapters because it doesn't stick out as far from the front of the radio... I only found one place that sells them on the auction site, and it comes out of China so it ends up taking about two weeks to get...Think I payed $7 for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cabo316
Donor
Donor

Post by cabo316 »

Ordered the 4 to 5 adapter from my online source and also looked at the other pigtail from overseas...yep, from recent experience they took 32 days to get me a $15 part. so, knowing the first one will get here Saturday, I'll go back and order the pigtail also. I don't like the idea of the first one sticking out another inch. Thanks all. Now I gotta go search the carpet in the shack...dropped that little tiny set screw that releases the pin part of the plug.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

cabo316 wrote:Now I gotta go search the carpet in the shack...dropped that little tiny set screw that releases the pin part of the plug.
Invest in a large magnet, I have the dropsie's too.

3's

Greg

Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

I know your problem, and have your solution *maybe*.

Stock Turner +3 microphones GROUND the audio when PTT is depressed. That worked great for the RELAY-type radios like your old Cobra 138. Well, things changed when relays were done away with, in favor of transistor switching.

The modification needed on your microphone is the OPEN AUDIO modification. You add another switch inside of the mic to turn on and off the audio.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Rabbit Ears wrote:I know your problem, and have your solution *maybe*.

Stock Turner +3 microphones GROUND the audio when PTT is depressed. That worked great for the RELAY-type radios like your old Cobra 138. Well, things changed when relays were done away with, in favor of transistor switching.

The modification needed on your microphone is the OPEN AUDIO modification. You add another switch inside of the mic to turn on and off the audio.
Yes, Turner made a kit call "Sw.K" but finding one today would be like hitting the lottery. You can read about it on "CB Tricks" mic manuals. Once their stock of 4 wire assembly parts were spent they switched over to the new switches and 6 wire assemblies.

3's

Greg

cabo316
Donor
Donor

Post by cabo316 »

Well, here is an update. My 138XLR is a mobile unit that has seen as much time in the house(s). And it was always used inside with this +3. And the switch always set to electronic. So, as it was cold and snow today, I decided to hit the web and read some more. Then figured I might as well try wiring a new 5 pin plug, just leave pin #4 blank. And, after having done so, the 2000 has Rx and TX. Got a response from a base about 5 miles away and he responded that my carrier and mod was good and when I asked about squeal, he said no...you don't have any squeal, you are "sounding good". So, I guess that will be good for now. If the weather would cooperate, I'd go back to raising the antenna. The Max is zip tied to the in ground pipe. Don't want to Tx until I get it all in and grounded and get an SWR reading. Thank You to CBRT, I'm getting there.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Good to hear, surprised me about not jumping ground to pin 4, must have a jumper inside the radio. I have a Uniden Washington (same as Cobra 142GTL) and it wouldn't work without pin 4 jumped and using a 4 wire mic, it squeals, but the funny thing is it doesn't squeal using the adapter which is wired the same way. I just buy 6 wire mics now, that is how most new mics come.

3's

Greg

pabxone

Post by pabxone »

MDYoungblood wrote:Good to hear, surprised me about not jumping ground to pin 4 Greg
Pin 4 on the 2000GTL is the Transmit and Receive switching common (to PCB ground via a ferrite bead)
Pin 2 is the microphone element audio ground (-ve) return which also goes to PCB ground but via an RF choke.

The RF choke will have some resistance so the TX and RX switching will have some voltage drop due to the resistance of the choke wiring via that method and it's almost guaranteed to feedback and sound odd on receive when the volume is set at 75% or higher.

I always strap pin 2 to pin 4 inside the mike plug when forcing a 4 wire mike to work on a 5 wire Uniden but they never work 100% - it's a trade off.

You really need to wire any 5 pin Uniden's with a 5 wire microphone cord to get them to work as they should in both TX & RX.

I'm (Almost) sure the Turner +3B's could be ground split internally to separate the Switching common & the Audio commons (I'm sure there was another leaf spring that could be used ? ), but maybe that was just the versions that had the Relay / Electronic switch in the base like the Super Sidekicks?

I'll have to have a look at an early model +3B I've got here and see what's the go there.

Mark
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

pabxone wrote:I'm (Almost) sure the Turner +3B's could be ground split internally to separate the Switching common & the Audio commons (I'm sure there was another leaf spring that could be used ? ), but maybe that was just the versions that had the Relay/Electronic switch in the base like the Super Sidekicks?
Most new microphones (after 1977) have moved from a separate E/R switch to switching in the PTT switch and added the 2 extra wires in the cords, it was just economically feasible, it only took long enough to eliminate existing stocks of old components. The only thing I would have liked to see was a common wiring (pinout) instead of each manufacturer making up there own.

3's

Greg

cabo316
Donor
Donor

Post by cabo316 »

pabxone wrote:
MDYoungblood wrote:Good to hear, surprised me about not jumping ground to pin 4 Greg
Pin 4 on the 2000GTL is the Transmit and Receive switching common (to PCB ground via a ferrite bead)
Pin 2 is the microphone element audio ground (-ve) return which also goes to PCB ground but via an RF choke.

The RF choke will have some resistance so the TX and RX switching will have some voltage drop due to the resistance of the choke wiring via that method and it's almost guaranteed to feedback and sound odd on receive when the volume is set at 75% or higher.

I always strap pin 2 to pin 4 inside the mike plug when forcing a 4 wire mike to work on a 5 wire Uniden but they never work 100% - it's a trade off.

You really need to wire any 5 pin Uniden's with a 5 wire microphone cord to get them to work as they should in both TX & RX.

I'm (Almost) sure the Turner +3B's could be ground split internally to separate the Switching common & the Audio commons (I'm sure there was another leaf spring that could be used ? ), but maybe that was just the versions that had the Relay / Electronic switch in the base like the Super Sidekicks?

I'll have to have a look at an early model +3B I've got here and see what's the go there.

Mark
Mark, I was actually a student in electronics technology after ex military in 1979. My gear...138XLR, 2000, Turner +2 and +3 all came from one of the instructors, who was/is a first class license holder. He used to tell me ALL the mods he had done and it was way above my paygrade. So, no telling what mods HE made. I'm still resurrecting the stuff that has been in boxes for decades. I am just retired from 32+ years govt. service. I am finding stuff I forgot...VTVM, scope, fluke meter etc. Once I'm finally able to finish my Max 2000 and mast install, I'll get an honest eval from the locals on air. There is quite a following on 3 and a wide spread of many miles between us. I can hear a few way south of me at the very lowest on S meter. As for the +3, I did get a local response that gave me a 'sounding good, you don't have a problem with whatever wiring you did'...BUT, I have a complaint, I have to get right up on the mic to get any swing on my mod meter and that was not the case waaay back when. I could key and speak from 12-15" and it would pick up my voice. So, it's not finished by any means. The local CB'ers have a senior member that reports there ain't a mic that he can't make work. I'll get him to test my +3 on his galaxy and then I'll leave the +2 with him...it was always window dressing and was free and never worked. Has 3-4 loose wires in it. Good winter projects. Is there a rewire with a 5 wire cord in my future (+3) ??

-- Saturday, 23 January 2016, 11:06 AM --
MDYoungblood wrote:
pabxone wrote:I'm (Almost) sure the Turner +3B's could be ground split internally to separate the Switching common & the Audio commons (I'm sure there was another leaf spring that could be used ? ), but maybe that was just the versions that had the Relay/Electronic switch in the base like the Super Sidekicks?
Most new microphones (after 1977) have moved from a separate E/R switch to switching in the PTT switch and added the 2 extra wires in the cords, it was just economically feasible, it only took long enough to eliminate existing stocks of old components. The only thing I would have liked to see was a common wiring (pinout) instead of each manufacturer making up there own.

3's

Greg
As far as I understand, wiring the mic with a five wire cord would give me that on pin 4, the one that I didn't jump to pin 2.(?) Probably gonna wait to tear back into the +3 until the local mic guy can try my mic on his base. There is a fairly large and experienced group that are willing to help. Thx, Greg. BTW, guessing you got lots of snow ?
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

MDYoungblood wrote:The only thing I would have liked to see was a common wiring (pinout) instead of each manufacturer making up there own
Ain't that the truth.

Astatic & Realistic got it right :-
Red - TX
Black - RX
Copper braid - Common
White - Audio

Turner got it upside down :-
Black - TX
Red - RX

As for the rest - take an educated guess and your guaranteed to get it wrong :shock:
Seaview
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Patriot 1/2 wave
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Post by Seaview »

I'm still trying to find out,the wiring for a +3 to 980ssb
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

Seaview wrote:I'm still trying to find out,the wiring for a +3 to 980ssb
Are you trying to wire it to the 6 pin socket on the radio or to the 4 pin socket on the adapter lead that comes with the radio?
Seaview
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Patriot 1/2 wave
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Post by Seaview »

Wiring a 4 pin plug,so I can use with adaptor and still work on my other radio,which uses 4 pin plug
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

Seaview wrote:Wiring a 4 pin plug,so I can use with adaptor and still work on my other radio,which uses 4 pin plug
That wires the same as a standard 4 pin Cobra / Uniden / RCI set up.

Microphone plug pin 1 - Copper shield wire (Earth common)
Microphone plug pin 2 - White wire (Audio)
Microphone plug pin 3 - Black wire (Transmit)
Microphone plug pin 4 - Red wire (Receive)

Also check inside the microphone base - some versions of the +3B had a Relay / Electronic switching slide switch at the RHS rear and that needs to be set into the Electronic position for this wiring setup.