Turner +2 mike paint job

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Turner +2 mike paint job

Post by MrBubble »

The +2 is one of the best looking mikes, IMHO. It's art deco style and smooth lines are timeless.

Unfortunately, the original paint on these mikes is usually in bad shape. And if you are fortunate to find one with the original paint in good shape, it's just a matter of light handling before it starts to fade and wear. At over 45 years old, the original paint was not intended to last this long and it's probably lead-based which is not good either.

I'm repainting two of these mikes. They are in great shape (nice chrome, clean plastic & lettering, good cords) except for the paint.

A proper paint job is not difficult but it is time-consuming. I need to get all the original paint off, clean the bare metal, apply primer and allow to dry thoroughly, and then paint. I'll post pics at each step.

-- Jan 18th, '16, 15:41 --

Here is the mike taken down to bare metal using paint stripper and wire brush. This is the hardest step in the entire process.

(edited by MDY, made change at member's request)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Turner +2 mike paint job

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I did the same thing with a old D 104 I picked up off ebay a couple of years ago...Took it completely apart, sanded it down, replaced the Mic element, and felt bottom, then used self-etching primer on the chrome parts so the new paint would stick. Then pained it Coca Cola Red, with pearl white accents...Picked up some Coca Cola stickers off ebay to finish it out...Took maybe a couple of weeks to finish.
ImageImageImage

Nice to hear someone else giving New Life to old Mic's!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

jessejamesdallas wrote:I did the same thing with a old D 104 ... Nice to hear someone else giving New Life to old Mic's!
Great job! I'm proud of that mike and it's not even mine :biggrin:
kskev
Donor
Donor

Post by kskev »

Wow, LOOKING GOOD Mr. Bubble!!!!
Yep, I always liked the looks of those too..... I even got one coming from the auction site that I just bought.
The paint and chrome looked pretty good in the pictures, but you know how that goes! Will see when it gets here how good it is.
Most likely I will be doing the same in the future!
Are you going back with the same color?

Yours came out looking good as well JJD!
KsKev
326 - From the Flatlands of Kansas
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

I've been thinking of doing a Turner+2 in maybe Candy Apple red or Purple...I'm with you on the design of the +2's they are timeless. And you can find new stickers for the Mic Gain...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

kskev wrote:Wow, LOOKING GOOD Mr. Bubble!!!! ... Are you going back with the same color?
The original color is light hammertone blue (which faded to green on many units). Rustoleum has this color and I tried it but it doesn't match the original very closely and it's kind of bland. So I'm painting one in metallic blue and the second one in metallic red.

Since I'm not a professional painter/artist and I'm using rattle cans (not an airbrush), I found it's best to use a paint that has some texture in it. Using a flat color shows every little blemish. When there is texture (e.g., hammertone, metallic) you don't notice any of these imperfections.

-- Jan 18th, '16, 16:18 --
jessejamesdallas wrote:I've been thinking of doing a Turner+2 in maybe Candy Apple red or Purple...I'm with you on the design of the +2's they are timeless. And you can find new stickers for the Mic Gain...
Yes, I purchased the mike gain stickers on the auction site. The original is not usable when you remove it.
Mr Peabody
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI 2970

Post by Mr Peabody »

That is one nice looking D104!
I will definitely be watching the progress on the turner!
I love the look of the classics .
What radio will u be using It on ?
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Mr Peabody wrote:That is one nice looking D104!
I will definitely be watching the progress on the turner!
I love the look of the classics .
What radio will u be using It on ?
My old rig is a Realistic Navaho Pro. It powers on but is not operable, I think the e-caps have dried out. So I keep a small collection of vintage equipment that is showcase-quality for display only.
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: MrBubble and JJD, I have to give props when they are due, you two are to be commended for doing a great job keeping the oldie's alive, nice job to detail.
3's to ya and good luck.
David g. :cheers: :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Here it is with a coat of self etching primer. The primer contains acid which reacts with the metal to form a bond. It's supposed to cure in 2 days but I'm going to wait a full week to be sure.

Interesting to note that when I stripped the original paint I did not see any primer coat. The original paint was just baked on to the metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Yep, no since rushing it...Just don't do like I did and have it sitting somewhere, where flying insects can get stuck on it while your waiting for it to dry...

Think I had to sand down and repaint my D 104 at least twice because some critter decided to use it as a landing pad when the paint was still sticky! :x
Slim Pickins
Donor
Donor
Handle: Slim Pickins
Call Sign: VE1PEW
Radio: Realistic Navajo 457

Post by Slim Pickins »

You guys are making me want to tear one of my old mikes apart and get painting now.
73,Slim

Insanity is hereditary......you get it from your children.
Mr Peabody
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Mr Peabody »

I can wait to see the finished product! They are gonna look awesome.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

MrBubble wrote:
kskev wrote:Wow, LOOKING GOOD Mr. Bubble!!!! ... Are you going back with the same color?
The original color is light hammertone blue (which faded to green on many units). Rustoleum has this color and I tried it but it doesn't match the original very closely and it's kind of bland. So I'm painting one in metallic blue and the second one in metallic red.

Since I'm not a professional painter/artist and I'm using rattle cans (not an airbrush), I found it's best to use a paint that has some texture in it. Using a flat color shows every little blemish. When there is texture (e.g., hammertone, metallic) you don't notice any of these imperfections.

-- Jan 18th, '16, 16:18 --
jessejamesdallas wrote:I've been thinking of doing a Turner+2 in maybe Candy Apple red or Purple...I'm with you on the design of the +2's they are timeless. And you can find new stickers for the Mic Gain...
Yes, I purchased the mike gain stickers on the auction site. The original is not usable when you remove it.
If you use a lighter gray primer then the blue it might lighten it up a bit.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Hey,

Those are some very nice looking mics.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

MDYoungblood wrote:If you use a lighter gray primer then the blue it might lighten it up a bit.

3's

Greg
Those pics are just the primer, although it doesn't look too shabby just with primer alone. I'll be apply the base color coats next week. I'm actually going for a darker tint, just a matter of preference.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yes, I saw the pics of the primer, I know that Rustoleum does lighten up as it dries and the lighter primer (white) helps lighten up the the finish coat. If your planning on an enamel paint you can bake the finish to make it harder, an oven works great, I've baked small parts for some engine builds I've done. The canned paint had the instruction to do this, not sure about the spray cans and there are some YouTube's too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

My other D 104....
ImageImageImageImage
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

Hey Jesse, those are two beautiful twins! After seeing the great job you did, I'm not sure I even want to post my pics ... you're a hard act to follow!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MrBubble wrote:Hey Jesse, those are two beautiful twins! After seeing the great job you did, I'm not sure I even want to post my pics ... you're a hard act to follow!
Should have seen them before I started...The Coke one I think I payed $20 for, and the chrome was all pitted-out, rust on the PPT handle, element had a hole in it, felt was all torn on bottom....Defiantly project-Mic's.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
MrBubble wrote:Hey Jesse, those are two beautiful twins! After seeing the great job you did, I'm not sure I even want to post my pics ... you're a hard act to follow!
Should have seen them before I started...The Coke one I think I payed $20 for, and the chrome was all pitted-out, rust on the PPT handle, element had a hole in it, felt was all torn on bottom....Defiantly project-Mic's.
You have not only brought these mikes back to life, you made them better (looking) than new. I think you should make a guest appearance on that TV show American Restoration!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Hahaha! Just wanted to be different...Was thinking of doing a Nascar theme one maybe next...I've got a Turner +3 that could use a make-over...Just going to have to wait till it warms up some.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

Wicked mics!! Awesome!!

That took some serious work to boot.

Psst...can I have the green one??? I have a thing for John Deere. Now that takes the bank, the cake, and everything else! Great job!!
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
Mr Peabody
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Mr Peabody »

If I didn't know any better I would think them D104s
Where factor special editions . Those look great!
And mr bubbles, no need to get discouraged
I'm sure the turners will look amazing when your
done too !! Can't wait to see um!
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

While I'm waiting for the primer to fully cure, I thought I'd add a tip for anyone else who restores their old mikes. In my case, I removed the base of the mike so I could work on the body. This involved removing the gain control and desoldering a couple wires.

Before removing anything, take a photo! Like they say, a photo is worth a thousand words and is much better than written notes. When I reassemble the mike, I will use the photo as a baseline reference for how everything is routed and connected.