Turner +2 mike PTT bar - which year did it change?

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Turner +2 mike PTT bar - which year did it change?

Post by MrBubble »

The venerable Turner +2 was manufactured approx between 1965 and 1975. Initially, the PTT bar was imprinted with "SSB +2 Transistorized". In the 60's, this was common marketing to promote the new solid state architecture of retail electronics. By the early 70's, the transition from tubes to transistors was commonplace and no longer a novelty, so I suspect that's why Turner change the PTT imprint to "TURNER" in bold lettering.

What I'm wondering is which year this changeover occurred. Looking at some of my old catalogs, it seems that the Transistorized version of this mike was being advertised as late as 1972 or 1973. Does anyone have any better information if the later version with the "TURNER" imprint started in 1973 or 1974?

(I would attach a photo showing a comparison of both PTT bars but I'm still a new member and cannot upload photos.)
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Turner +2 mike PTT bar - which year did it change?

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello MrBubble,
Welcome to the forum. As you might know the internet is a wonderful tool to locate info, searching "Turner Microphone" brings up a bunch. Here is a good site for some info on them, http://www.cbgazette.com/turner.html.
As a new member I see you haven't posted an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , this would make an excellent way to get started on the forum.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

MDYoungblood wrote:Hello MrBubble ... As a new member I see you haven't posted an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, this would make an excellent way to get started on the forum.

3's

Greg
Nobody has wished me 3's in over 40 years. For that friendly and nostalgic gesture, I thank you and wish you 3's and Happy New Year!
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: Phil/mrbubble, a big welcome to CBRT from Georgia Dawg country. Glad to see your interest in a great mic both mobile/base. I used both back in late 60's early 70's with great success. Wish I had more info for you but as op stated a good reference. There's a lot of ole timers like yourself on, so it's always good to hear from someone of the past still hanging on to wonderful hobby you really never lose, just took a break. Again, glad to have you and 3's to you/yours, good day as Paul Harvey would say.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
MrBubble
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MrBubble »

dgbacb4148 wrote::bounce: Phil/mrbubble, a big welcome to CBRT from Georgia Dawg country. Glad to see your interest in a great mic both mobile/base. I used both back in late 60's early 70's with great success. Wish I had more info for you but as op stated a good reference. There's a lot of ole timers like yourself on, so it's always good to hear from someone of the past still hanging on to wonderful hobby you really never lose, just took a break. Again, glad to have you and 3's to you/yours, good day as Paul Harvey would say.
David g. :cheers:
Dave, thanks for your welcome. I am both a former CBer and USAF reservist, so we have a couple things in common. Wishing all the best for you in 2016!

-- Jan 2nd, '16, 17:02 --

And here is a photo showing both PTT bars. Again, I'm speculating the switch occurred in 1973 or 1974 but hoping someone may have better information.