D104 4 pin to 5 pin

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
fiddlehack
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

D104 4 pin to 5 pin

Post by fiddlehack »

Hello, I'm sure this question has been answered here before, but can't find searching, I have an old Uniden Washington SSB, an old CB buddy from back-in-the-day, gave me his old great D-104, Uniden is 5 pin, D-104 is 4 pin, adaptor I bought transmits but no sound thru radio, I assume because of mic wiring circuitry, any easy fixes or opinions?

Thanks so much-Brian
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: D104 4 pin to 5 pin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello fiddlehack,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the mic is not wired right or possibly a broken wire, I've also ran across some adapters that were wired wrong too. Depending on the age of the D104, it could be wired for a relay switching radio, is it a 4 wire mic or 6 wire mic? I would go buy a 5 pin mic plug and wire it for the Washington, this is for a 6 wire microphone, pinout goes,
1 - white (audio)
2 - shield ( mic ground)
3 - black (RX)
4 - blue ( switching ground)
5 - red (TX)
If it is a 4 wire mic you have to jump pins 2 and 4 but some radios this will just make it squeal on transmit.

As a new member could you post an intro in the "Welcome top the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "hello", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

From what I hear from you is that your radio is a five pin, YES.

Okay.... let us assume it is a electronic switching radio.

MDYoungblood gave you the correct pinout for your radio.

1. See that you have a fine battery in your mic.
2. If battery OK.... check the wires inside of the mic to the plug on the cord with a DVM on the ohms setting. (It could be a broken wire in the plug or the plug miswired).

3. Here is a picture of a schematic I modified for a 4-pin (Cobra). Or the 4-pin plug was even wired for Midland, not Cobra.

PInout for Cobra to Washington

1-Audio to 1
2-Shield/ground to 2 &4 (jumper pins)
3-TX to 3
4-RX to 5

Here is a schematic of a D-104 and MY schematic of my D-104

I did clip the white wire that "grounded" the audio during RX.
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
fiddlehack
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by fiddlehack »

Gentlemen, MDYoungblood & Rabbit Ears, thank you so much for the response/info, I apologize, I'm sure this is common knowledge to all here and a "lazy person" question from me...yes! LOL...I have been out of Radio for many years and looking for easy answer haha....I am terrible at electronic wiring but I guess I will have to open things up and try to figure it out. Thank you Rabbit Ears for the schematics, I think that will be of great use. Thank you both again.
Rabbit Ears
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rabbit Ears
Call Sign: WW153
Antenna: Hygain Penetrator 500
Radio: RCI 2995DX CF

Post by Rabbit Ears »

No problem, that is what we are here for friend!!
USA FOREVER
RCI 2995DX CF (PRIMARY BASE)
President HR2600 with Palomar TX-150 amp(backup base) *solar powered*
Turner Super Side Kick
RM Italy KL300P (A/B modded) in truck :twisted:
BIRD 43P
HY-GAIN SPT-500 antenna
Space Ghost
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Space Ghost
Antenna: A pair of dipoles
Radio: 148GTL/Washington/Grant

Post by Space Ghost »

Great information, great information.

I have a question related to wanting to use a 5 pin set up but some terms need translation.

What is: PTT Ground, PTT, MIC Ground, MIC Input? This in relationship to the Cobra 5 pin wiring, please.
(yes sir or ma'aam. I understand ptt to be push to talk)

Thank you.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The microphone element ground is usually tied in with the switching ground on most application but the 5pin where the two grounds are separate. Most times a squeal happens when tied together. Using an older 4 wire microphone there are a couple things to try to prevent the squeal, a "Tee pad" is one. You can find the info to make one on CBTricks microphone section. Most times it will be found that a 6 wire microphone will be best to use.

3's

Greg

southwind

Post by southwind »

fiddlehack wrote:Hello, I'm sure this question has been answered here before, but can't find searching, I have an old Uniden Washington SSB, an old CB buddy from back-in-the-day, gave me his old great D-104, Uniden is 5 pin, D-104 is 4 pin, adaptor I bought transmits but no sound thru radio, I assume because of mic wiring circuitry, any easy fixes or opinions?

Thanks so much-Brian
:bounce: Brian, a belated welcome to the forum. I have basically the same set-up as you. You can order through one of our sponsors on thi forum. You will need...........Adapter - Convert a 5 pin SSB CB mic to 4 Pin Cobra Uniden CB Radio - Workman C5P4C. It was a simple installation. 3's to you/yours from Georgia Dawg country, and good evening.
fiddlehack
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by fiddlehack »

Thanks Southwind, and other great experienced user replies, much appreciated, I've bought a few adaptors and have same problem, but like I do, just throw more money at it, I bought a Galaxy 2547, unit is great and functions exceptional. Old D104 4-pin plugs right in a works great. I'm running this unit barefoot with a simple solarcon a-99 and have good results, in fact what's suprising, this thing receives 11 meters WAY better than my Yeasu 450d with G5RV long wire dipole? Anyway, any recommendations for a beginner level amplifier for the Galaxy?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have a 4pin Cobra/Galaxy to 5pin Uniden/Cobra and it was wired wrong, I took it apart and they used a diode in the mic ground, it was interesting, rewired it (TX/RX was backward) and it works fine.

3's

Greg