HOME MADE MIC BOX

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
Leadfoot557
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Leadfoot
Antenna: Aluminum Ground Plane
Radio: President Lincoln +2

Re: HOME MADE MIC BOX

Post by Leadfoot557 »

Trapper267
Donor
Donor
Handle: Trapper 267
Antenna: Imax 2000
Radio: RCI-2995DX

Post by Trapper267 »

I wonder what kind of radio CD is using this box on? If it is like a cobra 29 then i wonder how he open's the receive circuit? When he key's one mic it will open the receive circuit on that mic, But all the other's are still closed. Just wondering. It look's like if he is using a cobra 29 then he would have to use a rotatory switch to point the receive circuit to that mic he's using at the time
My Skype name is ( slingslingbinks )
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: joeblow
Radio: conex

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

I used the box on a few different 40 ch SSB radios, I havent used an AM radio in forever, no one in my area goes on AM anymore, SSB is so much better, as for switching, On some radios, I would need to install a switch but, for the radios I use, I can actually key up all 4 or 5 mics at the same time or one after another, some radios require a mic in order to receive, my radios receive without a mic.
Trapper267
Donor
Donor

Post by Trapper267 »

Cool on that CD. I was wondering about this. BTW How ya been up there in the Great White North.
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

yo Trapper, Ive been good , hows things with you ?
Trapper267
Donor
Donor

Post by Trapper267 »

Great here CD.
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

I pop into the shout box once in a while, hope to see ya there
TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cobra Ball
Radio: Pace 8046, Roadtalker 40's, Teaberry Stalker IX, GE 3-5814A

Post by TNT1450 »

I did something similar for my Kenwood HF radio for quickly switching between digital modes from the shack computer and a microphone. I used one of those old A/B computer printer switch boxes of which I have many (they make great project boxes). I simply installed two mike jacks in the front, a mike cord coming out the back, and then wired it all up to the multipole switch. So I have a hand mike connected to one jack and the other jack is connected to the digital mode interface I built, then the mike cord coming out the back is connected to the radio.

Post by 51 »

im gonna build something similar as well but for the test bench. 3 or 4 mic out lines for the most common radios, and one audio line in to inject the audio signal from the audio generator, a rotary switch to isolate the lines from each other, a switchable in/out of circuit .01mf capacitor for audio line in decoupling if needed, and a toggle switch for the tx line. buying parts now. building your own gear sure is fun
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

Feel free to post your project boxes on my thread, Id like to see what you guys come up with
AtLarge
Donor
Donor
Handle: 0913
Antenna: Antron A-99
Radio: Bearcat 980SSB, Cobra 29 LX

Post by AtLarge »

Cool project. Thanks for the ideas!
2 x Bearcat 980, Cobra 29LX, Realistic TRC-448, GE 3-5812A, Uniden Pro 520XL, Fat Boy 2 PLL, Siltronix SLM-100, Solarcon A-99, Firestik FS4-B
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "why you need 5 different mic's hooked up to just one radio at the sametime?"

Now I can see wanting to have maybe 4 or 5 radios hooked to one antenna (sort of anyway) even tho you can really only talk on them just one at a time...But a bunch of Mic's for just one radio?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
JetSetter
Handle: JetSetter/822
Antenna: 11m Dipole, PAT-12, Browning BR-28
Radio: RCI-2995DXCF

Post by JetSetter »

Thanks jesse, but i feel the same way. Hope to hear a explanation for this. He must mean radios...right

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Beachbum24 wrote: May 17th, 2019, 9:06 pm Thanks jesse, but i feel the same way. Hope to hear a explanation for this. He must mean radios...right
No, he has the box made to run 5 different mics on one radio. He PM'ed me several times trying to figure out the wiring. If you search his posts he has pics of some of the mics he runs.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

The reason I made a 5 Mic box was so I can plug in 5 mics and ask for audio checks to see which Mic sounded the best on the radio I was using without having to un plug then plug in another Mic, get an audio check, then UN. plug that Mic,,then try another Mic as sometimes somone might ask to hear the first Mic again then I have to un plug again, by the time I un plug one Mic then plug in another, they already forgot what the other Mic sounded like. This way I can just say MIC 1 testing, Mic 2 testing, Mic 3 testing......and be able to instantly let someone hear the mics side by side. How's that for an explanation? Lol
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

CHOPPERDAVE wrote: May 18th, 2019, 11:25 am The reason I made a 5 Mic box was so I can plug in 5 mics and ask for audio checks to see which Mic sounded the best on the radio I was using without having to un plug then plug in another Mic, get an audio check, then UN. plug that Mic,,then try another Mic as sometimes somone might ask to hear the first Mic again then I have to un plug again, by the time I un plug one Mic then plug in another, they already forgot what the other Mic sounded like. This way I can just say MIC 1 testing, Mic 2 testing, Mic 3 testing......and be able to instantly let someone hear the mics side by side. How's that for an explanation? Lol
Makes perfect sense to me...I was sorta under the impression you always had 5 mic's hooked up so if you got board of using one, you switched to another one, or if the battery went dead on the one you were using to play Pink Floyd's Wall Album on channel 19, you could just key up another Mic without missing a beat! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
CHOPPERDAVE
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by CHOPPERDAVE »

Well, I usually don't use ch 19 or AM or play music over the radio but , now that you mentioned it ... ha ha, na, I don't think I'd wanna bother, Although, AM would be better , music has a weird sound when played on SSB. I've tested everything from stock mics to desk mics with this box, just not music. I really wasn't sure the box would work as I didn't use any kind of switch .I've even keyed up all 5 mics at the same time. I can't remember if anyone could hear the audio from 2 or more mics combined . I think probably just the stronger of the 5 was heard.
Trapper267
Donor
Donor

Post by Trapper267 »

Hey CD.
What mic's are you using?
I just made a box with only 3 plug's wired up cobra style 4 pin to plug into my mic tester box to check these Electret mic element conversion's for Astatic TUG-8, D-104's so i could have 2 or 3 of these mic's hooked up to test audio quality and i get only 1 mic to work, When i plug the 2nd one in i get no audio from eather one.
No mater witch socket any are plugged in, I may have to run a diode in the audio line,
Tried a diode with no luck, Ended up putting a rotary switch to control the audio line from each mic.
I also didn't wire up the receive wire (pin 4) just because it's not needed for the mic tester and i didn't want the receive circuit closed in one mic that's not used and the transmit closed in the mic i key up.
73 Trapp

Here's a video of using my test box comparing a stock TUG, D-104 to a TUG, D-104 with a electret mic element conversion from 6 Star on e bay.