Q about amperage to run a 4 pill

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Q about amperage to run a 4 pill

Post by projectcop »

Hi all;
I am getting ready to do a radio install in my 98 corvette. I am considering running a 4 pill amp (wont use it a lot) along with a cobra 148. I have worked out in my mind all of the things I need to do a no-hole install.
My only question is about the alternator. The alternator in my car is rated at 105 amps; and the optional alternators available from the factory were 120 and 140 amps. I have seen up to 200 amp alternators on-line available for this car.
Will my 105 handle a 4 pill? Or should I get a higher amp alternator? And if so, which one? I know that if I use a bigger alternator, I should use a heavier guage charge wire, but how big?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all
73's....
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne
015reddog
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 015reddog
Antenna: Coathanger
Radio: Mudduck Junk

Re: Q about amperage to run a 4 pill

Post by 015reddog »

I'm pretty sure you would need to go bigger. The question is how big? I am thinking about changing the alt in my car from about the same as yours to a 200 amp. I'm thinking at least 50 amps more than what your car needs by itself. I'll be running a 1x4 in mine. I'm sure someone that knows more than I do will chime in soon.
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I believe I would rethink a 4 pill and go with a 2 pill instead. The electronics in the 98 Vette' aren't shielded well to begin with, keying a 4 pill might stop it in its tracks. Your main concern should be to get the antenna problem straightened out first.
Yes go with a bigger alternator, let the battery start the car and then the alternator run it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
ogdoa
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Maco v5000/102"
Radio: Cobra 2000/RCI2970

Post by ogdoa »

All that fiberglass aint going to shield anything and if its a newer one you may have computer problems. Someone told me that I would have problems running one in my explorer because of shielding....I can just imagine how much worse it would be in a vette.
Sometimes you feel like a duck....sometimes you dont.
151 FRIED CHICKEN
Branson, MO
Home channel
PA629

Post by PA629 »

My experience FWIW.

I have a 4x2879 Class C comp-style amp driven by a dual final Galaxy export radio. This same set-up was used in two different vehicles. The first was a 4 cylinder Dodge sedan with a small CCA battery, 95A alternator, and 8 ga. wiring direct to the battery. The second vehicle was a 6 cyl. Chevy SUV with a larger CCA battery, 150A alternator, and 4 ga. wiring, also direct to battery. The output wattage was exactly the same for each vehicle, as observed using the same meter for both. You can draw your own conclusion, YMMV. :icon_e_wink:
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Post by projectcop »

Hmmm,
I do have an older 2 pill lying around here somewhere; but maybe I'll just run the 148F with the RFX85. The antenna issue will be solved by putting a trailer hitch on the car and attaching the antenna directly to the hitch, so that should work out ok.
I'm wondering if a bunch of ferrite cores on the coax would help?
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne
southwind

Post by southwind »

:bounce: A lot of good suggestions here, but with a good antenna system and either 6 or 8 gauge wire, you should be able to skip with no problem. With a good pounding radio and close to 100 watts you should have a good mobile set-up and less potential problems. JMHO. :cheers:
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Don't use an rfx85 if you can help it. If you intend to go that route get the rfx150. Much easier to install. Gotta have fans on the back though. JMHO.
KP68
Donor
Donor
Handle: KP68
Antenna: Maco M105C Mr Coily 80meter sky loop
Radio: Apache Labs ANAN 7000DLE MKii

Post by KP68 »

All depends on how hard you're going to drive the amp. If you're going to run it like most CB'ers, as a general rule of thumb, roughly 20 amps per pill. (2879's.)