battery to save settings in fm radio slipseat

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
blakjak1960
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by blakjak1960 »

Hi everyone! I built a "slipseat" radiobox for my job as a truck driver. For those that don't know, a slipseat box is a portable cb/fm radio box that is removed each night at the end of my run. The radio's wiring is connected to the truck directly in the dash. Unfortunately, each night it gets removed it loses all of the preset stations and any personal settings such as time, equalizer, bluetooth etc... So every morning I have to re-enter all the pre-sets, pair the phone to Bluetooth, reset the equalizer and so on. Is there a way, maybe a small battery hookup that I can buy/build to save these settings? I don't need to "run" the radio on battery, simply save the settings. I would love to keep the weight down but I will take any suggestions. Thanks! Happy New Year!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: battery to save settings in fm radio slipseat

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello blakjak1960,
Welcome to the forum. You can make a simple powerpack out of 8 AA batteries (1.5v) or 10 rechargeable (1.2v) and wire in a double pole single throw switch. It has to be an on/on switch. It will not be enough power to run anything but will save the memory.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A single 9 volt may be enough to keep the memory. A diode would be installed to prevent 12 volts from feeding back into it. The rechargeables sound like a simple solution though. My only concern would be overcharging them.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I was thinking of diodes instead of the switch but wanted to make it simple. Recharging the nicads can be done with a jack and 500ma charger to plug into the wall.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Diode would be very simple. Almost any rectifier diode from rat shack would do the trick. Put it in the positive wire between the batteries and the device. Cathode of the diode (end with the stripe) towards the device.
blakjak1960
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by blakjak1960 »

Thanks guys!
I have zero experience with diodes and making a battery pack but doesn't sound like it's beyond my abilities. Is there a DIY link? I hate to ask you to hold my hand step by step. Hope everyone stayed safe last night! Awakened wondering "where's my car? Who is this stranger in my bed?