where do i ground my batteries?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.

where do i ground my batteries?

Post by 51 »

as far as running multiple batteries, which is a better way to do it
is it better to run a pos. & neg. wire from the battery under the hood to the batteries in the back, and then wire equipment to the pos./neg. of batteries in the back (OR)
positive wire from the battery under the hood to the batteries in the back, and neg. wire from batteries in the back to chassis ground, and then wire equipment pos. to the pos. on batteries in the back and neg. to chassis.
'Doc

Re: where do i ground my batteries?

Post by 'Doc »

There will probably be less resistance involved if you use the chassis of the vehicle for the negative or ground line. Unless you use some really, really large cable (as in huge, both cables!).
- 'Doc
Ohio_359
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Ohio_359 »

I would use the chassis.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I have my batteries in the back grounded to the frame, and just the Positive wire ran back up front to the front battery...

One thing you need to watch tho, is make sure the front battery is also grounded to the frame, and not just a fender and the motor...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Cj1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cj1
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Roadpro Titan II

Post by Cj1 »

i grounded my extra battery to the body, and the one under the hood is to the Chassis and body as well. i used 4g from the positive all the way back to the pos on the battery in the trunk. i run an 8 pill with no problems.

Sunday, 06 January 2013, 21:56 PM

make sure you Fuse both ends.. just incase the wire gets caught up anywhere.. i have 2 circuit breakers on both ends of the positive.
122 NYC
Tram D300
Yeticom MK2
Cobra 200
President Lincoln
President HR 2510
Uniden 2830(CS)
RCI 2950/70
LiL Wil
Wilson 5000 Trucker
102" Steel Whip
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

I also have the positive to the battery bank as the negative to the frame. Also be sure the wire from your alternator to the main car battery is large enough to handle the load, I upgraded mine.

Snowman