where do i go for a second alternator install

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.

where do i go for a second alternator install

Post by 51 »

where can i go to have a second alternator installed? i talked to a couple mechanics and a few car electrical install guy's and all of them were tripping out, and it was funny cause at one point they all said the same thing "why would you want to do that?" i told them about our big power hobby and showed them pics of some 2, 4, 6, 8, alternator installs and they were speechless. i told them car audio dudes, and boating dudes do it as well, they were at a loss for words. in the end they were all scared to attempt to do it. sooo im thinking a car audio install shop would be the next try. do most of them do it? im just tired of running around/calling people and explaining why we do this and have them look at me like im dumb:icon_rolleyes:
radio11
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: stacked 3/hor.
Radio: yaesu 757/kenwood ts

Re: where do i go for a second alternator install

Post by radio11 »

Well,not sure what u want to run?how about one big alternator,and may be 2 batterys or 3.i can run anywere from 200-800 watts on a 2 battery setup. :cheers:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

What is it your wanting to add a second alternator in? Allot of the newer vehicles you can forget about it....And where are you at? (City & State)

Your best bet is look at what others have done, and try and figure out something on your own...There are several "ON-Line" alternator shops that will sell you the bracket set-up for running dual, even triple alternators, but you'll have to do the install yourself...Kit's usually come with everything you need (hardware, belt, idler pulleys) except for the alternators.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post by 51 »

its going in my dodge caravan. there's plenty of room for another one to fit and i found a 220 amp alternator online that's just a hair bigger than the stock one so the fit and all that is not the issue. the thing is 1. i will probably have to make a bracket. 2 i don't have enough tools 3. there's no small metal fab shops around here 4. i don't wanna do it. i would rather pay some one to do it, dealing with the fabricating, lining it up, the serpentine belt etc.. i will do the wiring etc i just need an install guy. competition car stereo shops do it all the time but there aren't any around here.
linx

Post by linx »

Well where do you live?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

51 wrote:its going in my dodge caravan. there's plenty of room for another one to fit and i found a 220 amp alternator online that's just a hair bigger than the stock one so the fit and all that is not the issue. the thing is 1. i will probably have to make a bracket. 2 i don't have enough tools 3. there's no small metal fab shops around here 4. i don't wanna do it. i would rather pay some one to do it, dealing with the fabricating, lining it up, the serpentine belt etc.. i will do the wiring etc i just need an install guy. competition car stereo shops do it all the time but there aren't any around here.
If you check with some of the alternator shops "ON-Line" several of them offer "Dual Alternator Kit's"...These Kits are just add-on parts and come with everything you need to add a second alternator...No special tools required!

All you have to do is tell them some basic information about the vehicle, and they will sell you a Kit specially built for your car,van, or truck....

Kit's can range anywhere from a couple hundred dollars, up to as much as $500 plus. So shop around.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post by 51 »

im in Salem, Oregon. i have been shopping around for over a month now and there is nothing offered for the dodge caravan as far as kits go, not that i could find anyway. i was lucky enough to find an alternator bigger than 160 amps that would fit. it took me quite awhile to find that. but, if its to much trouble to get it done for me i am probably going to replace the stock alternator with the new one. but it's not my first choice of course.
The Killer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: DOMINATOR
Antenna: MR.COILY MEGA FLAT
Radio: MOD SQUAD HR2510

Post by The Killer »

dan aka mr. coily is near you ... at least he was in salem. Shoot he might do it or might be able to make you a bracket .. never know .. or he might at least be able to guide you in the right direction as far as someone locally doing it.. PM him on here and or go to his website and email or call him :dwarf:

http://www.mrcoily.com

Post by 51 »

thats a good lead. thanks killer
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Another option would be to go the Motor Maul route...They build Motor Mauls now big enough to power just about anything you want! And you don't need dual alternators...XForce builds Mauls, and I think so does Fatboy and a few other Amp builders.
Donor
Donor
Handle: Step~Child
Antenna: imax 2000
Radio: Almost too many

Post by 385 »

Just a quick question.... If you run a second alt for a dedicated system(amps and radio only) do the alts have to be the same amperage?
385, Tracy
petriach
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by petriach »

No.

You could keep your normal alternator and use a HO alt or just another OEM style one to power your gear,as long as it uses the same belt style.

BTW you'll need an external regulator,or if it's like my car and has it's own,you'll need to get the appropriate pigtail so it can monitor the second systems voltage.