Jeep xj dual alts???

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
The Killer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: DOMINATOR
Antenna: MR.COILY MEGA FLAT
Radio: MOD SQUAD HR2510

Jeep xj dual alts???

Post by The Killer »

just wondering if the Leece Neville 4800 - 4900 Series style Alternators would fit in the stock xj alt location?? also thinking about taking out the ac comp and putting a pad mount alt such as Delco 28SI.. i just dont know the dimensions?? anyone know??

or has anyone added a second alt while leaving everything else alone?
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: Jeep xj dual alts???

Post by drdx »

I have an XJ (99, 4.slo motor) and still on a single alternator but I'm sure that if you remove the compressor there is plenty of room. I've also looked into doing one on the driver side after removing the airbox, near the ps pump and also down hear the stock location but it is tight down there. My current alternator is a built one from a local place, alterstart, but I think one of the sponsors does alternators. The factory one is I believe just 90 amps. They're great radio vehicles and the rear spare tire carrier makes a great anchor pont for extra batteries. If you haven't done the hole in the roof yet, right above the rear map lamp is a great spot and leaves access to the bottom by popping out the light.

One of the keydown videos I saw long ago had a black xj on it and that guy supposedly had duals set up but I'm unsure if he still had AC

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
The Killer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by The Killer »

yeah i got the hole drilled for sure lol im using one of gunnys pucks.. i was just checking out Iraggi alternators they have a 380amp putting out 396amps at 15.8 volts, its a gm style tho.. i think that would work with a conversion bracket.

[youtube][/youtube]
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

The Killer wrote:yeah i got the hole drilled for sure lol im using one of gunnys pucks.. i was just checking out Iraggi alternators they have a 380amp putting out 396amps at 15.8 volts, its a gm style tho.. i think that would work with a conversion bracket.

[youtube][/youtube]
Do your self a favor and buy from someone besides iraggi, just do some research on him.
Also early XJ's had the alt mounted low on the motor on passenger side, no room for anything bigger because of the unibody.
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"
The Killer
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by The Killer »

yeah 4-10 on that!! after i did some research i found about the bad about them and i went through mechman. He set me up with a 270 amp with adj voltage. It does have a larger case, but after talking with matt he did tell me i needed to get out the BFH and clearance it lol after that it fit no prob and is working great. i have another 250 amp that im gonna put where the ac is. Im going to use the 250 to run my jeep 2 pill and 4 pill and the 270 to run the 16> i know that's a lil shy of what of the 320+ of what ppl say i need but i have plenty of battery power so i think it should be okay considering i was running it all on the stock 90amp and the batteries and it still was working when i took it out lol..

BTW thanks again matt for all the help !!