225 amp mega fuse.

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Donor
Donor

225 amp mega fuse.

Post by 626 »

Just a quick pic of my mega fuse and holder. The wire is 1 gauge. The fuse is 225 amps. It sits on a bracket I fabricated. It protects the wire run where it passes through the firewall.

Each piece of equipment is also fused individually.

DixieEcho82
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: RCI, Galaxy, Uniden

Re: 225 amp mega fuse.

Post by DixieEcho82 »

Very nice. Just curious, what model of vehicle is that?
yankee
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Yankee
Antenna: Dipole
Radio: Yaesu browning cobra and others

Post by yankee »

Looks lik a jeep. Maybe an older cj
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

That is a 1991 Jeep Wrangler

Those fuse holders are really very cool. They function as a junction block as well, you can connect several pieces of equipment. I use it because I have a cable running through the firewall and anytime you have a junction like that its a good idea to protect it with a fuse. Keep in mind that the fuse protects the jeep from burning down. Not the equipment

For the record, its an older YJ and the body is really similar to a CJ7
rv_camper
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by rv_camper »

I like the fuse setup, but I'm a little concerned about the current carrying capacity of the wire.

According to my charts, the 225 amp fuse you have is oversized for the 1 gauge wire. Is it possible you're actually using 1/0 cable?

You're not going to be drawing a continuous 225 amps, so I really don't see an overload condition heating the wire significantly, but you may be getting unnecessary voltage drop across the wire depending on the length.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

If it were me, I think I'd use a slightly smaller fuse/breaker than 225 amps. The size of cable isn't an issue, it's as large as the starter cable so I would think it ought'a handle anything you are likely to have as an electrical accessory. I don't think you need to run out and change the size of that fuse! ...unless you are going to give it to me, naturally...
- 'Doc