Mobile installation question.

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
RadioMax
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Mobile installation question.

Post by RadioMax »

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla would I need to upgrade anything on the car to run a RCI-2970N2 drawing 18 Amps or can I just hook it directly to the battery without any problems?
'Doc

Re: Mobile installation question.

Post by 'Doc »

Doesn't sound unusual enough to require anything special. I think I'd recommend larger power line wires than you might think reasonable, but that's one of those 'just in case' thingys, not all that important.
Have fun.
- 'Doc
RadioMax
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by RadioMax »

I was concerned about the alternator being able to handle the load or going bad due to overloading it.

And as far as powerlines are you referring to the pos/neg wires going from radio to the battery?
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

Yes he's describing the power cables to/from the battery. Power supply lines, or power leads.

Run a pair of short thick cables +/- to a point very close to the radio. Then connect your radio's own power cord to them.

As a very general rule, if your car has AC air conditioning, heated seats and other common extra accessories, you probably have an alternator that can handle an external accessory such as a radio. Provided it's not being used when all other accessories are all on at once. No guarantees, but is a general indication that you can.
RadioMax
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by RadioMax »

Thanks for your input guys.
lucas
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cherokee CBS-1000

Post by lucas »

i'm pounding 2 rockford fosgate subwoofers off a 1200 crunch amp (most of the time, depending on mood), with a cb radio running all the time when the car is started PLUS two extra 150 watt EACH driving lights in the bottom grill of my 2000 grand am and 100/80 watt each head lights (we tend to have a BIG moose problem here in newfoundland) , im more then sure your not going to have any electrical problems :P
TRC 449
TRC 242
TRC 454 (FUN FUN) (8) Ring ring ring BANNANA phone (8)
Uniden 68XL
K-40
Antron 99
Home made ground plane
:)
lucas
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Cherokee CBS-1000

Post by lucas »

thats suppost to be 1200 watts worth of amp sorry, i cant seem to find the edit bottom
TRC 449
TRC 242
TRC 454 (FUN FUN) (8) Ring ring ring BANNANA phone (8)
Uniden 68XL
K-40
Antron 99
Home made ground plane
:)