MF-440 worldwide in a 2003 dodge ram

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
1kylehughes
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 148 GTL,

MF-440 worldwide in a 2003 dodge ram

Post by 1kylehughes »

have stock alt and battery. cant turn up amp past 1/4 or 3/8 turn without making truck die. its in a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with power mirrors seats, ac, cruse,heated mirrors, tow, even power pedals. what can i do? plz help me i wanna crank it up!!!!!!!!
T Rodd
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 ltd Chrome

Re: MF-440 worldwide in a 2003 dodge ram

Post by T Rodd »

From what I can gather looking at replacement parts your truck either has a 117amp or 136amp alternator. If that is the case. The MF440 requires 100 amps max to run. Your truck, with all power will use between 40-60 amps. 70 approx. amps give or take for your amp.. You are probably starving it for power. If this is the case, you will need to upgrade to at least a 190 or 200 amp alt.

If the alt info is incorrect, RF may be interfering depending upon your grounding (bonding) antenna location etc etc..
"When asked "Why do you carry a 45?", The Old Ranger responded,"Because they don't make a 46."

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"
linx

Post by linx »

If you're wanting to upgrade your alternator, check out http://www.mechman.com/ and be sure to let them CBRT sent ya! Great guys.
Alien Abductor

Post by Alien Abductor »

I ran a 2x4 on a 90amp alt, dimmed my lights a bit, but got almost full power out of the amp.

Try it and see, if you get headlights dimming or rpms dropping at idol just add a battey, no need to get a new alternator for a 1x4. I think you will be fine with your stock charging system, but if the load is to heavy just add a battery.

And that worldwide will draw 100 amps MAX, not constant. Big difference. Id think that 1x4 would draw around 60 continous amps.
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

1kylehughes wrote:have stock alt and battery. cant turn up amp past 1/4 or 3/8 turn without making truck die. its in a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with power mirrors seats, ac, cruse,heated mirrors, tow, even power pedals. what can i do? plz help me i wanna crank it up!!!!!!!!
ok before i go throw ideas into the wind and try guessing how you have it hooked up

tell us from radio to coax to amp to antenna
how the radio get power how the amp is powered

just start from beginning telling us how you have your setup
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MECHMAN »

Assuming you have either the 4.7L V8 or the 5.7L Hemi, we have a large case conversion kit for either engine.

Our 250 amp Rhino kit will actually peak out around 280 amps at highway speed. They are built with our solid copper rectifier for durability, and oversized output studs so that you can upgrade to 0 gauge power and ground feed wires, which will allow you to get all of that current to the battery and amp. (cables available seperately) Also, our kit bypasses the ECM regulator, so that your voltage is bumped up to 14.7 volts cold. This will put a better state of charge on your battery, reduce headlight dimming, and will improve the overall performance of your radio signifigantly.

Our kit is on sale for $499 shipped, and bolts into the stock location and uses the stock belt.

We also offer a 72 lb AGM battery upgrade for your stock battery location that will double your current battery capacity for only $299 shipped.

1-888-MECHMAN
mlogan@mechman.com
Call us for all your high output alternator and battery needs !!
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

I think you've got another issue if 1/4 to 3/8 makes it die. As NTMD posted above, throw out what you have. I, like trodd above mentioned, think you have an RF (radiation) issue rather than an amperage issue. Those power draws mentioned are not constant and the battery will cushion it as well. Where is the antenna mounted? Do you have it grounded well all over? Is the exhaust and all doors and hood grounded with braid? That's not a huge amp, that vehicle should run it fine.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
-=PEAKABOO=-
Donor
Donor
Handle: PEAKABOO

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- »

The motor is not dying because of the a the alternator. It sounds more to me like you have RF interference somewhere. As 555 stated, more details, as many as you can give about your setup.
"Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke"