What size AMP fuse?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
ousooner
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy DX959

What size AMP fuse?

Post by ousooner »

Okay for most of you out there this will be simple because most of you really know your systems. But, I do not so I need your help. I have installed a basic Galaxy DX 959 (straight out of the box , it was "tuned" by the supplier; however, I am not seeing any increase in wattage on my meter) I installed the radio in my F-150. I ran the power line to the vehicle's battery. I installed an in-line fuse approximately 6 inches from the battery. What size AMP do I use? ( I am currently using a 20 AMP fuse) I am running a standard radio, battery and altenator, (I would like to increase the entire system later but for right now everything is standard). Also the fuse holder that comes atteched to the radio the white plastic fuse holder / housing which is usually located approximately a foot away from the radio. That white plastic housing broke. (actually the smaller cap cracked) I went to Radio Shack to buy a new one. But they did not have one the size I needed. The power and ground wires on the radio are 12 gauge the fuse housing / holder in Radio Shack was about 18 gauge. So I installed another in-line fuse and I am currently using a 2 AMP mini fuse is this two high. Everything is working fine now but I can not afford to buy a new radio.

The truck is a 1989 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat. I am using two 102" SS whip antennas. Each antenna is run on a separate coxial feed line connected to a switch which allowes me to chose which antenna I want to run, (I cannot run both antennas at the same time). I have one antenna mounted on the truck roof dead center, and the second antenna mounted on the left rear pannel just above the gas tank doors, (not directly over the gas tank doors).

So what size fuses do I use? Thanks
retsiwt
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Ranger AR-3500

Re: What size AMP fuse?

Post by retsiwt »

I would advise using the fuse the owners manual for the radio lists to use, if you dont have manual, I would use the same amp fuse that was original in the old fuse holder. I wouldnt think a 2 amp fuse would be to high an amp.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

You are talking about three different fuses, near the battery, the radio, and the amplifier. The fuse near the battery protects the power lead going to the radio and amplifier so needs to be large enough to handle their combined current draw. I hope you saved the last fuse out of the radio's fuse holder, or have the manual, which should tell you that one's size. The amplifier's fuse ought to be near the amplifier, and I hope the seller told you the size, or it's written on the case, or supplied manual (yeah, right!). What amplifier is it anyway?
That 2 amp fuse sounds maybe just a touch large for that radio, but I certainly wouldn't swear to that, I have no idea what was changed with it or how that might affect it's current draw. Ask the one who did the modifying. Who knows, he might know about the amplifier's fuse too.
Good luck.
- 'Doc
retsiwt
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Ranger AR-3500

Post by retsiwt »

Based on your knowledge, or lack of by your own statement, I was just trying to give you the safest answer, or I could have went into detail using my knowledge explaining alot of things you may not understand, and burn up your new radio. I didnt read anything about an amplifier, or anything else in line other than your radio? Thats what I was baseing my answer on. You had no reply on your post at the time, just trying to help, only to get shot down by a trigger happy gunslingher!!!!
the_junkie

Post by the_junkie »

most stock radios are fused at 3 amps...i run a 5 on mine because of having tuned radios...
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

retsiwt,
I think if you read that original post again you might find that you didn't make a mistake about an amplifier. That amplifier is a 'future' thing, not there now. So what was wrong with what you posted? Certainly seemed sensible to me.

A "trigger happy gunslingher"?? I'm sorry you feel that way, because that was not my intention at all. If I should happen to disagree with someone I don't mind saying so, and certainly expect to be treated with the same consideration. I don't 'do' "pot shots", I'm not a "trophy hunter" either. I may take a 'poke' at someone occasionally, but I think when I do it's pretty plain that it's in fun, and not a serious threat of some kind. If I see that it's called for, I also don't mind apologizing for my behavior or miss-behavior.
- 'Doc