what goes in to running more alts?

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Hatchetman
Call Sign: KE5RTC
Antenna: Omni sirio 2016
Radio: mine lol

what goes in to running more alts?

Post by tonyhatchetman »

ok here we go i want run more alts but not sure what goes into it i have a 2pill 4pill 16pill fatboy and i want to add 1 more battery in the front and replace the factory alt with a 250amp to run the truck radio 2 and 4 ,........

and then i want to know what battery's to use in the front .....

and i want to add 2x250 or 2x320? amp leece alts and 3-4 12v and 2-4 6volt battery's (what kind)? .......

one external reg ? to charge the batts at 19.5 ?...............

and on the leece alts do you just run a power wire to the battery's and a ground .......

and then how do the regulaters work and how do they hook up?
hatchet told you that !!!!! 273 round the big d wavin !!!!!!!!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

There's not a "easy way" to explain what I think your trying to do...But if what your wanting to do, is have enough power to run that 16-pill, have you thought about just getting a Motor Maul? It would be allot cheeper in the long run, and a whole lot less head aches! Plus, you can just use the alternator you have now!

Check out the video on World Wides site: http://www.worldwideamplifiers.com/
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor

Post by tonyhatchetman »

im running one now and i can only drive it with a 2 pill to get the most out of it ...........if i go with the 4 i get less and if i go with 2 n the 4 dks too high and swings back so??????/
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

tonyhatchetman wrote:im running one now and i can only drive it with a 2 pill to get the most out of it ...........if i go with the 4 i get less and if i go with 2 n the 4 dks too high and swings back so??????/
I dont understand this post but I will assume you're doing it wrong.

What kind of vehicle is it?

Alternators are a great way to go.

All the questions you have about regulators etc...There are 2 main ways to regulate a Leece Neville 4890JB (a 320 amp 14 v alt)
oh and yes I recommend getting the biggest you can afford which should be a 320. if you are going to go through all the hassle why bother with small alternators?

Regulator styles:

1) Internal: A regulator is placed into the factory brush holder right on top of the alternator held on with 4 screws. 8-32's if I remember correctly. Some are adjustable with a screw in the top some are fixed. All of them need to be turned on somehow. Weather they excite from a stator a/c tap, IGN 12v, or a diode trio is left up to you and your personal installation. I prefer the IGN 12v style and I run it through a relay so when I shut the truck off it shuts the alt down in case I forget to hit the on/off switch. Just so I don't blow the regulator, its a safety thing.

2) External: An outboard regulator is mounted somewhere outside the engine compartment with a FLD + and a FLD - connection going to a bypass plate on the alternator. Basically it is a plate that replaces the internal regulator and connects two contacts to the brushes directly. The external regulator is nice because usually they provide adjustment and are very heavy duty. If you go with a Leece Neville type regulator it will only allow 15 or so volts. If you buy a Fatboy or Davemade or Worldwide or Xforce regulator these will allow you to adjust it all the way up to 20+ volts.

see link below for pics
http://www.chargercharger.com ... ators.html
the lower alt has the by pass plate on it.

here is a link to the external regulators
http://www.chargercharger.com/regulators.html

Things to keep in mind:
1) you cant shove 20 volts into a 12v battery for long.It will gas and explode or catch on fire. You will need to decide how many volts you want to run on the box in mind and design a battery bank to be compatible, use this chart as an example

Battery resting voltage alternator charging/amplifier voltage
12.5 13.8-14
6+8=14 15.3-15.5
8+8=16 17.3-17.5
6+6+6=18 19.3-19.5
12+6=18 19.3-19.5
12+8=20 21.3-21.5

So if you wanted to see about 16 volts on the 16 pill you need a battery bank comprised of a 6v battery in series with a 8 volt battery. Then set your regulator to 15.3-15.5 or 16 ish volts.

You have to have 1.5 volts or so above the resting voltage of the bank for it to force the chemical reaction to take place and therefore charge the battery bank.
Thats why your battery in your car is 12.5-12.6 volts and when its running it shows 13.8-14 volts...

2) Dont fall into the trap of trying to buy a million batteries to make up for a lack of alternator. It doesnt work. Have you ever load tested a battery? a 800cca battery at 12.6 volts fully charged when discharged at 400 amps for 15 seconds will show 10 volts under load. the only thing that will help here is a charging voltage from, you guessed it the alternator.
The benefit of this is that you dont need a million batteries if you have a good alternator. if I was going to run a 16 pill Id just have a 14v bank with a 6 and a 8 and be done. again, thats whay you added the alt in the first place isnt it?

understand now?
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

sorry my chart got compressed

here you go

tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor

Post by tonyhatchetman »

its a nissan frontier 05 its working now its just not effecient and i dont want to lose any power .
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

tonyhatchetman wrote:its a nissan frontier 05 its working now its just not effecient and i dont want to lose any power .
ya door itka dooooo
it wronnnn
T Rodd
Donor
Donor
Radio: Cobra 29 ltd Chrome

Post by T Rodd »

linearone wrote:
tonyhatchetman wrote:its a nissan frontier 05 its working now its just not effecient and i dont want to lose any power .
ya door itka dooooo
it wronnnn

WHAT????
"When asked "Why do you carry a 45?", The Old Ranger responded,"Because they don't make a 46."

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor

Post by tonyhatchetman »

T Rodd wrote:
linearone wrote:
ya door itka dooooo
it wronnnn

WHAT????
me to english please lol
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

you're doing it wrong
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor

Post by tonyhatchetman »

doing it wrong??? in not trying to build a comp. mobile just trying to build a every day talker so i can talk to my buddys far away on there base radios and am doing so now but i dont like the volts dropping .......and then haveing to wait on my maul batts to charge back up just want to run it when i want to thats all
linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by linearone »

tonyhatchetman wrote:doing it wrong??? in not trying to build a comp. mobile just trying to build a every day talker so i can talk to my buddys far away on there base radios and am doing so now but i dont like the volts dropping .......and then haveing to wait on my maul batts to charge back up just want to run it when i want to thats all
did you even read my post? if you want to have a better setup without losing volts then you need an alternator, i even gave you all the info you would need to run one including different battery setups etc.
tonyhatchetman
Donor
Donor

Post by tonyhatchetman »

ok i got that and am working on it .....i thought you where saying i couldnt do it with my truck
PYRO-736
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Connex 3300

Re: what goes in to running more alts?

Post by PYRO-736 »

You can do almost anything you want as long as you have the space under the hood to fit the alternators you need to run the boxes you have. Main thing to remember put a lot of time and I mean a lot of time into planning it out, going over everything multiple times to not forget the smallest detail..Get all the proper meters and such. Get the coax thats the next step above what you would need to run to make sure it'll be good to go. Then recheck the list yourself and with whoever else is into the hobby so you can brainstorm together, research where youre gonna go to get your bracket and extra alternators built and then brainstorm with them. After all of that don't rush with the install it'll get there and you'll be able to enjoy it much more worry free without constantly sweating if everything will be good or will your boxes blow because of a small slip up. Also keep in mind witht hte ecu you may want to shield it if it gives you any problems with a faraday cage to shield from possible rf problems but the ecu can still get air so it wont overheat. 73's
MECHMAN
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: what goes in to running more alts?

Post by MECHMAN »

What you are proposing is complicated, and exoensive. That being said, we can set up a dual voltage system for you. We also have 16 volt batteries that can be charged at 19.2 volts if you want to go that route.

My reccomendation would be one of our 250 amp bolt in large case conversion kits, and two powermaster D3100 batts in the back. This would be clean, simple, and would easily power your system as described. Feel free to give us a call 1-888-MECHMAN mlogan@mechman.com
Call us for all your high output alternator and battery needs !!
[/u][/size]

1 - 888 - MECHMAN