New to radios, looking for advice & info

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Popeye3
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Popeye
Antenna: 102” whip
Radio: Galaxy dx 959

New to radios, looking for advice & info

Post by Popeye3 »

Hello, was wondering what it would take to get a nice base station set up, I have a mobile unit now, a dx 959, doesn’t compare to everyone else’s radio in my location, I’d like to get a nice powerful base setup, please give me your thoughts.
lizardking73
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Lizard king
Antenna: Imax 2000 70' to the top
Radio: Galaxy dx2517 stryker 955

Re: New to radios, looking for advice & info

Post by lizardking73 »

The 959 should work good as a base station...what kind of antenna and how high? Has the radio been peaked and tuned...are you using a good mic?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Radio is just the starting point....The antenna set-up is what makes you get herd...

Decent antenna set-up would be either a Antron 99 or Imax 2000 (better than the A-99) up in the air minimum of 30'...(30' pole or tower)

There's better ground plane antenna's out there than the antron 99 and Imax 2000, but they are going to cost more...Then there's also beam antenna's to consider....just depends on how deep your pockets are, and how serious you want to get...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Popeye3
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Popeye3 »

I’m willing to get pretty serious, I really enjoy it. And as of right now my 959 is in my pick up with a 102” whip. I possibly going to male it my base, I was also thinking a 98vhp, I’m open for suggestions though for both antennas and radios, amplifiers, power converts, etc, would really like some good info, btw thanks for the helpful replies.
big boone
Donor
Donor
Handle: big boone
Radio: connex\cobra\washing

Post by big boone »

Welcome to the hobby of radio. I have found that you can't go wrong starting with a good antenna and feed line. All the power in the world is useless if it is going in a dummy load laying on the ground. A good antenna system is what makes or breaks you. Check out the sponsors on here and they will get you on the air. Good luck.
299 From the hills of E. Tennessee the original gateway to the west!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

My suggestion is about the same as the others. The radio is the easiest thing to change. Look long and hard at an antenna system, there are those "up and easy" antennas like the Imax 2000 or A99, some others are Sirio brand, then you have a few high dollar brands. Good quality coax is a must, for a run over 50 feet use the larger size coax, LMR400, RG213, etc.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Popeye3
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Popeye3 »

Yes, looking at a tower for a imax 2000, starting with the 2000 for now planning on upgrading later. And I’d love to run a 98vhp for a base, I have so many questions (sorry). I know I need to ground the antenna, do I need to ground the radio too? Will gijoes convert a 98 to 11 meter? What’s the best type of power converter do I need to use? Etc. and sorry again, I could pick your guys brain for hours about cb, I’m pretty new to this but love the hobby, thank you.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

First let me say we enjoy having our brains picked, one of the reasons our forum is so popular, we have plenty of info to share.

Second, "Yes" GI Joe's will do that for you (tell him you are a CBRT member) but it isn't hard to do yourself, you can find the info on that right here.

A power supply for the 98VHP should be one over 30 amps (continuous amperage), more would be better, we had a company that sold switching PS's as a sponsor but I believe he no longer is.

Last, grounding is very important, I have all my equipment grounded, radios and antennas. You can find more info again here on the forum.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Popeye3
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Popeye3 »

I appreciate all the info, thank you very much.