Regency CB-27

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: A-99
Radio: Pierce Simpson and S

Regency CB-27

Post by 973Kid »

There is a guy about 30 miles from me who has a pair of Regency cb-27 radios and original mics for sale dirt cheap. They were made in 1961 and I have never seen anything like them. I talked to an old ham who said they were a hated radio because it was so hard to keep them on frequency. Anything other people hate is usually what I end up liking. I'm just curious if anyone else has one or knows anything about them. They have 9 tubes and both appear to be intact except 1 has had the cord cut off. The other one was plughed in and made noise (according to seller). I'm buying them to stop him from gutting them and turning them into lamp bases.

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: Regency CB-27

Post by 443 Arizona »

first, clean it, then,,,well just get it hooked up out in the driveway cause it might go up like a roman candle... dont transmit unless you have it loaded with an antenna.
if it doesnt fry in 1/2 hour, then maybe it will be a radio, but i'm sure its going to need TLC.
set up another known working radio to even tell if you are able to,,, receive first, if so, try transmit.
more than likely its not going to work so then comes all the "fun" of basically figuring out every dang little nuance until i come over and drink your beer and watch you FUBAR it, hahaha, na just kidding.
realistically, it would probably cost more than your willing to spend to get it back into good working condition, but you might get lucky.
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

I really just wanted it because it looks different than any tadio that I have ever had. I have 2 other tube types, which are my favorites, so most of the time I plan on running my Pierce Simpson Guardian with my d-104 but it would be cool if this thing actually worked. I have looked all over the web and haven't found anyone else who has one. These two came from an estate auction so I don't know what the guy paid for them but I know around here old radios go cheap. I got a good working Kris Boomer amp for $10 at an auction. I took it to a local shop and he benched it free because it is his favorite amp. The guy I am getting the 2 Regency radios from was just going to turn them into lamps but since they appear to be pretty rare so I would love it if one of them worked. I have a tube tester that my great uncle bought new in 1946 ( I actually have the original sales receipt) so I can test the tubes.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The one with the cord cut off is a parts radio for sure. Those old Regency radios are nice, if the good one is in great shape it would be worth buying, I wouldn't mod it for extra channels, not worth the effort, the chassis design is very limited on band spread. Might want to even get a Sam's Photofact for it.The first thing to do is to recap the radio, those old caps will give out at any moment and your wife wouldn't care for the smell (burnt popcorn) and the oil is near impossible to get out of the radio after they blow up, yes they explode. That was a good buy on the amp, hope the tech takes good care of it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

Whrn I was supposed to pick the radio's up the seller couldn't find them. I figured if nothing else each tadio has 9 tubes and I have a tube tester so I could get my money back just by parting out the tubes in the bad one and I would still have 1 to keep on the shelf. O well. Guess I will just focus on getting a Johnson Messanger 130a.