base antenna question

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

base antenna question

Post by d-minus »

I have a question about setting up a base antenna.I plan on mounting a power pole in the ground looks like it will be 35-40 feet high. I will mount the antenna on top of the pole. I plan on putting foot pegs on pole to climb and I might build a small platform around the top if I need to access antenna. Now I hear a lot of people talk about mounting antenna at different heights due to the wave length of antenna. I have no idea about that stuff so maybe someone could clarify that for me. antenna will be either sirio 827 or 2016 the radials are only 26" long on the 2016 is that ok or not. I read on e-hams about the 2016 and everyone loved it I assume they are on the ham bands and I will be on cb band and do some dx'ing I really want to try that. Coax rg213 or lmr400 run will be about 75 feet. Radio I am thinking about is uniden 980ssb. With the pole at 35-40 feet antenna will be about 65 feet away from power lines would that be ok. I plan on starting out with a kl203p amp then I would like to go up to about 500 watts. Heck I"ll be excited to just hear somebody talking skip. I'm liking this radio stuff. Thanks for any input. D-minus.
Grinder74
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Grinder
Call Sign: KE8EOJ
Antenna: 102"GP, 2M Yagi
Radio: Kenwood TR-751a, Yaesu FT8800, President HR2510, Uniden TRC-465, Teaberry "T" 40ch

Re: base antenna question

Post by Grinder74 »

sounds like a good plan. The antenna is the most important part of a station. The 5/8 and.64 wave are the best verticals.
KE8EOJ
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

A lot of operators say to get the antenna one wave length off the ground but mine are at ground level and I still get out, but higher is better. I would do the choke under the antenna, especially if your planning on some extra help and neighbors are close by. A good ground and a few 8ft ground rods around the bottom of the pole, lightning/surge protection, the coax mentioned is great.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
a365
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: a365
Radio: Cobra 29gtl

Post by a365 »

If you looking for skip/dx talking,get a 3 element yagi antenna with a small tv rotor

If you want to use for local talking or groundwave 50+ miles and some skip/dx,get the sirio 2016 or the better sirio vector 4000
d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd

Post by d-minus »

Thanks mdyoungblood and a365 I will check those antennas out. In my construction travels I have acquired 2 10 feet ground rods so I will use them and get some lightning protection. Thanks. D-minus
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

A beam would be an excellent choice, it gets rid of some noise off the back of the antenna, in a horizontal polarity it does eliminate some noise too, but not really necessary for shooting skip, I do it off my omni (vertical) all the time and have made contact with a few members here.

3's

Greg

Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I'm still undecided about a beam. I want one but the nights when I'm talking to guys 40 miles to the south and guys 20-30 miles north west of me the beam would be a pain...maybe a small one wouldn't be so bad.
bobby07
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by bobby07 »

I have a question about ground. I have both a scanner antenna and a CB antenna. Can I tie the grounds together to one ground rod or do they need to be separate? Also they are not a straight shot down, have an 45 angle at least once. Will this be a problem?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

543FtWorth wrote:I'm still undecided about a beam. I want one but the nights when I'm talking to guys 40 miles to the south and guys 20-30 miles north west of me the beam would be a pain...maybe a small one wouldn't be so bad.
If your thinking of going with just one beam for both local and DX, your going to need something with dual polarity...Locals won't hear you on the flat-side, unless they also are talking on the flat...Mobiles you can forget about since they are vertical.

I just have my quad, and it works just fine local (on vertical) Only draw back is if someones east of me, and then someone out west also chimes in, then I'm stuck having to either chose which person to talk to, or keep turning the house around.

I will say this about a beam tho...when DX is rolling, you can pick up allot of stations that normally you wouldn't hear with a omni. Plus since beams are directional, you'll have less noise.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

bobby07 wrote:I have a question about ground. I have both a scanner antenna and a CB antenna. Can I tie the grounds together to one ground rod or do they need to be separate? Also they are not a straight shot down, have an 45 angle at least once. Will this be a problem?
Hello bobby07,
Running a separate ground wire down to the same ground rod wouldn't be a problem. You might want to check with the local electrical code to see if they approve of it.
Since your a new member could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: All good advise here. If I were going to run several grounds, I would think running each individual ground wire to the ground rod and have individual clamps for each wire, JMO, hope that helps and good luck. Antenna/height is pretty much individual preference as well.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

Back in the day I had an Antron 99 with the ground plane kit attached to a pole for some extra height and this was mounted to my chimney on the house with straps. Ran the ground down to a 7-8 foot rod that I put into the ground. When I ran my little 150 kicker my one neighbor 2 houses across the street said that I was coming over his tv and that I ruined his vcr or something like that.. So I only ran the kicker real late at night every once in a while.. I had my cobra 148 with a d 104 power mic that I was using on the base with the heater..
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

I use a 5 element Maco on the flat side with an Imax 2000 about 4 feet above. Got the beam for the DX and the omni when the skip is bouncing all over or the truckers are yaking. Works really well. I will never be without a beam again. They are the best. My opinion and 5 bucks will get you a cup of coffee in most American restaurants.
Blue