Adjusting DK

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Adjusting DK

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: What special tool if any, is needed to adjust dead key,@ VR6, 8719 board, on a Uniden Washington ? Bear with me somebody gotta do it and it's me.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
Deleted User 14541

Re: Adjusting DK

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

A small slotted screwdriver and a watt meter is all most use. A non conductive plastic screwdriver is best but with a VR a metal one won't be a problem unless you drop it or short something out.
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by dgbacb4148 »

543FtWorth wrote:A small slotted screwdriver and a watt meter is all most use. A non conductive plastic screwdriver is best but with a VR a metal one won't be a problem unless you drop it or short something out.
Thank, that's the answer I was looking for.

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by dgbacb4148 »

MDYoungblood wrote:There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
Thanks Greg, that's what I have already come up with, a small screwdriver that I have already put heat/shrink tubing on and heated it, made a perfect tool. Is there enough difference in 3.75 DK and what everyone recommends 2.0 watt ? You have a Washington as well and I looked on the schematic and was tough to see VR6. I'm using a RS Power/SWR Meter and who knows how accurate it is, and I just wondered if I need to try and lower DK at all ? Hope the Jeep survived the mound LOL. 3's to you/yours.
David g.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

It depends on the amp you plan to use. I have an old HyGain Afterburner inline with the Washington, adjusted at 4w DK it shows 25w out of the amp and 110w peak, this is on AM, on SSB it peaks 120-125w. Dropping it down to 2w will save the life of the tubes, that is where I run the Washington, the receiving end won't see any difference in the slightly lower output. I use dummy loads to make all my adjustments, another good investment when playing with radio equipment.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

MDYoungblood wrote:There are a lot of places to buy the plastic tools online, to adjust the coils needs a hex key, it's always a good investment to buy a set. If using a small metal screwdriver I would add a piece of shrink tube over the metal shaft and only left the blade/tip exposed.

3's

Greg
That's a great idea about the shrink tube. I used electrical tape on my small screwdriver when i was adjusting pots. I had plenty of shrink tubes just did not think of using them. Great idea for future reference.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee