Radio and base antenna choices

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
TexasT
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Radio and base antenna choices

Post by TexasT »

I'm fixing to purchase a base antenna, been looking at IMAX 2000. And a uniden 980ssb radio. I have an old base Realistic Navaho, and a Cornell-Dubilier Mark X in a wooden case. Not sure yet if they still work. Are they good base radios if they still work and is the choice for the antenna and uniden radio a good selection or is there something better in the same price range?
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Radio and base antenna choices

Post by sonoma »

that would be a good setup to start with. if the Navaho is a am ssb radio that would be my choice for a base. the 980 is a good solid radio also.you just need a power supply to run it as a base. as far as antennas the fiber glass imax 2000 works good I just prefer aluminum antennas for a base. I like the maco V5/8 antenna for a ground plane base antenna. I have the old radio shack antenna that I use from time to time . same as the antron 99
TexasT
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by TexasT »

I live in Lubbock Tx and we have winds 20-60+ at times, so would the fiberglass or aluminum antenna be best. It will be on my tower that's 25' tall. My tv antenna is about 5' above the tower top so the base antenna will start about a foot or so above that.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Might look into the Sirio Gain Master, the Vector 4K, the Sirio 827 or 2016, or if you have the money and are serious about getting back into the hobby, check out the Shockwave antennas made here in the USA. Also Mr. Coily makes a good GP 5/8w antenna as well as the interceptor I10k if you can get one made. The shockwave is about the beefiest antenna of the bunch that I have seen as far as materials used. HD aluminum antenna that is large and will handle some serious wind load. There are a couple of guys that run them that live out in TX, and I think one may be a forum member here. At any rate, the IMAX 2k is a good starter antenna but you may have RFI/TVI and CMC issues without the use of the GP kit. Read up on this some before you pull the trigger. I like Sonoma like aluminum antennas much better, but for a good fiberglass antenna look at the Sirio Gain Master if anything. Other than that, I am pretty sure the Sirio 2016 or 827 would work at your qth. They are pretty HD antennas. But they do weigh a lot. 12-15lbs. Or more in some cases. Just keep this in mind when as well. Not sure what type of tower or mast setup you have, sounds like a Rohn 25 or similar? Hard to tell without pics. But a Rohn 25 would have no issue with any of the antennas I listed. And as far as what antenna is best. One that is truly wind rated for high winds!! Like I said, depending on how serious you are about the hobby and your antenna setup, which BTW is one heck of an important choice, look into an aluminum 5/8w antenna like the Shockwave antennas that are made here in the US. Here is a photo of one.
One of these or one of these IMO would work well for you.
The 2nd pic is a sirio 2016. Another pretty heavy duty built antenna. Again these are JMO's, and I'm sure others will have theirs as well. These are just some antennas I tnink would work well for you. Like I said the IMAX 2000 isn't a bad antenna but I am more of an aluminum antenna guy myself after having dealt with the fiberglass and all the fun things that go along with them. And in the TX or FL sun they just don't hold up too well!! Again JMO. Hope this long text wall helps. It's early so excuse me if I made shy mistakes along the wall LOL!! Have a good one and good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

And as far as coax, 100ft or less, LMR400. And quality connectors. Jefa tech makes some nice coax as well as Andrew, Commscope, Times Microwave, belden, Eupen, 123 wireless, Judd wire, and some others. Any of the above coax manufacturers' make quality coax that will work well. Another coax I have been looking into myself is Andrew FSJ2-50, it's some sweet stuff!! Way overkill, but it will last a very long time and handles some decent power as well as being a direct burial coax. Anyway. Just some more food for thought.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

TexasT wrote:I live in Lubbock Tx and we have winds 20-60+ at times, so would the fiberglass or aluminum antenna be best. It will be on my tower that's 25' tall. My tv antenna is about 5' above the tower top so the base antenna will start about a foot or so above that.
Fiberglass or aluminum will take the wind. The fiberglass takes a beating in the Texas sun. The aluminum antennas take more time to set up and properly waterproof connections. The fiberglass antennas are mostly plug and play. The aluminum antennas are better performers if set up correctly. Not because they are aluminum but just a more efficient design.
TexasT
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by TexasT »

Is the Cornell-Dubilier Mark X a radio worth hooking up? It was my father in laws, and it has a toggle switch added to the front so I'm sure he had it tweaked a little bit, but I won't know until I get a antenna up. The tower I have is a Rohn I've had for a long time which is grounded with a 5/8 ground rod. Since I had my 65' tree cut down I breathe a little easier about lightning issues, but even before luckily I never got hit. I'm just curious about the radios history and how old it is.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello TexasT,
Welcome to the forum. First let me say that Cornell-Dubilier Mark X radio (very rare) is well worth getting repaired if it doesn't work and it would be best to have it recapped if it does. I am in total agreement with everyone on the aluminum antennas, fiberglass is okay in certain situations but you can't beat the performance difference in metal. Check out the forum sponsors, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/cb ... direct.htm , good prices and a big selection on antennas.
Installing it on a tower with an existing TV antenna usually doesn't create a problem, try to get about 4 to 5ft of space between the two, if the TV antenna isn't needed, I would remove it. You need to do a lot of reading on the forum, plenty of installation info here, use the "Search" feature.
As a new member could you post an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "Hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TexasT
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by TexasT »

Hi Everyone. I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions for antennas. I'm going to go with the Sirio 2016, do a little sky camo painting on it before I put it up. And order the Uniden 980SSB radio. I'm hoping the other two base radios I have will work, as I plan to use the 980 in the house and have one in my shop to use as well. Hopefully my neighbors won't have any issues with their electronic items in their homes from my stuff. And I'm hoping by the end of March or before I can be up and running and maybe talk to some of y'all out there. Until then everyone have a good one and I may still have other questions for y'all. Thanks, Terry in Lubbock Tx.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

You should be happy with the antenna and radio. Follow the sirio tuning manual for that antenna to the T and it will tune well. Also use good coax, connectors, and a good ground system. All of these things will help with how the antenna works. For where you are I would suggest getting some good coax like LMR400 that has some good UV protection if it's to be installed outside. Also good connectors and proper weather proofing like 543 stated, are a must. Self amalgamating tape is some pretty good stuff and won't stick to your connectors. JMHO.
roadrunner9
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: 4 Element beam
Radio: Galaxy

Post by roadrunner9 »

Nice pictures 1206FL. Thanks for sharing those and the good advice. I own a number of aluminum antennas and the Sirio 827 is one of them.

(Very good antenna for the money)
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I wouldn't worry about the camo, 99% of people don't pay attention to what's on the roof, if they do ask, tell them it's a new HDTV antenna and your picking up all kinds of free channels now. As far as interfering with something, the most things are the computer speakers, most people buy them on the cheap or come stock with the computer and cheap cordless phones. I think the Sirio 2016 is okay but looks like the ground plane is kind of small (to me), must work though, it's a popular antenna overseas.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department