Cobra 2000 Frequency Counter

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Mermaid
Antenna: 6 element
Radio: Cobra

Cobra 2000 Frequency Counter

Post by LadyMermaid »

This Cobra 2000, the frequency numbers jump around. There are extra freq and a slider for the wattage. The freq do not seem to be on point. I am sure CB Doctor knows the fix.

I love the radio, very loud, good talker. I am okay with the mods -- reason I purchased it.

:rabbit:
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Re: Cobra 2000 Frequency Counter

Post by TheCBDoctor »

LadyMermaid wrote:This Cobra 2000, the frequency numbers jump around. There are extra freq and a slider for the wattage. The freq do not seem to be on point. I am sure CB Doctor knows the fix.

I love the radio, very loud, good talker. I am okay with the mods -- reason I purchased it.

:rabbit:
Good morning LadyMermaid

The first thing to determine is if the counter is showing what the radio is doing or if the problem is the counter itself. If you have another counter you may want to try it in the Cobra 2000 GTL that has the issue. If the problem remains the same, then it is the radio. Even if the radio is on frequency the signal feed to the counter may not be working. It could be a possible adjustment on the main board.

If the counter is bad there is someone on eBay that sells reconditioned frequency counters. The way he works is you send him your bad counter and he sends you a reconditioned one. The last time I checked they went for $75 plus S&H, which is a great price for the counter. You may find him under Cobra 2000 GTL eBay.

The frequency counters for the Cobra 2000 GTL were made by an outside vendor. They only made one counter for every radio Cobra had made, so there are no spares. The counter is a dual double sided clad board and is not easy to work on unless you have the correct equipment (A good solder-sucker at the right temperature). I recommend not working on the counter itself. I usually suggest pressing a board to see if there is a bad solder connection. The counters are old and pressing on a dual sided clad board may only make the problem worse. About 20%, of the time, or so, resoldering the board will correct the problem, but unless you are experienced with a soldering iron I suggest not doing it yourself. Overheating the components or traces may damage the board or create a solder bridge.

Try putting the radio in the Side-band mode and see what you get for a reading. If it is stable or reads 35.0005 MHz on channel 20 will help determine where the problem lies. The AM and SSB signals from the radio go in two separate directions on the counter itself and are fed from two different points from the main board.

You should be able to disconnect the 3 Molex plugs from the old counter and place them on the new counter without removing the existing counter.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Respectfully as always,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by LadyMermaid »

"You should be able to disconnect the 3 Molex plugs from the old counter and place them on the new counter without removing the
existing counter."

without removing the existing counter???

then what is the point of those steps above??

Is this for a new counter?

Obviously, this didnt connect in my crowded brain

I have seen the ad on eBay -- wasnt sure if the items was a good replacement
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

LadyMermaid wrote:"You should be able to disconnect the 3 Molex plugs from the old counter and place them on the new counter without removing the
existing counter."

without removing the existing counter???

then what is the point of those steps above??

Is this for a new counter?

Obviously, this didnt connect in my crowded brain

I have seen the ad on eBay -- wasnt sure if the items was a good replacement
Good morning,

When I stated that you can test the counter by substituting a temporary one to see where the problem lies I should have made it clear that it was only a test and that it can be done without removing the existing one to reduce time and work. If it fixes the problem, then yes, remove the existing counter. There are 4 screws that hold the counter in place, which is accessible from the bottom.

As for the seller on eBay, from what I gather he is replacing the counter with a factory model, not an aftermarket counter. Otherwise why would he want your bad one first? He is using the ones he gets to cannibalize the parts to fix other counters. I am sure he tests the counter you send him and determines if it is truly bad and if it is worth repairing. It is only after he receives yours that he sends a reconditioned one back to you.

My question: I would like to know where he is getting the Microprocessor (TC5032P) They have not been made in the past 20 years. This is the part that usually fails and can't be replaced easily. I have a few that I keep just in case I really need one. I am sure he had a stock pile of them before the Cobra 20000 GTL was discontinued in April 1994.

He seems reputable and $75 for the counter is much cheaper than trying to repair it yourself. For me time is money. If I have to spend 8 hours on a counter, and I have, I saved myself 6 hours of work by buying his reconditioned units. Over half the time it is the Microprocessor (TC5032P) that fails. There is not substitute and they are no longer made. I wish I could have bought 1,000 of them for less than $5 each back in 1990 when they were available. I would have made a lot money if I had them today. I have 4 left. I am saving them for my own radios just in case.

Oh well hindsight is 20-20. There is a modification that can be done that will restore the frequency counter, but you will lose the clock and auto-timer/alarm feature if it is the TC5032P Microprocessor.

Respectfully as always,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by LadyMermaid »

Very clear.

Thank you for your response.

Love an intelligent man. :fish:
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Post by redlght »

I know this thread is old but in case anyone needs counter ic, **Non Sponsor** still sells them 19 bucks

(edited by MDY, removed **Non Sponsor**)
LadyMermaid
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by LadyMermaid »

I looked up the company. What exactly do they sell for the cobra 2000? I have two cobras. One, the freq counter jumps all over the place. I have learned to live with it. I think the other radio, the freq counter kind of blinks out a bit. I haven't used the other radio in a year.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

redlght wrote:I know this thread is old but in case anyone needs counter ic, **Non Sponsor** still sells them 19 bucks

(edited by MDY, removed **Non Sponsor**)
Hey, it's best to PM or email this information as in the open forum I'll have to edit the post.

3's

Greg/MDY
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Post by redlght »

was just for others ref no one to pm really