13.8v DC power supply question

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Eskimo_Pie
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: SCUBA Diver
Radio: Grant XL/HR2510

13.8v DC power supply question

Post by Eskimo_Pie »

Hello CBRT!!

Just a quick question. I have an RCI 2970 DX and need a good p/s. According to RCI/Ranger specs, it requires 18 amps. I am considering an Astron RS-20A, but Astron is only rating it @20amps 50% duty cycle with a 16 amp continuous rating. Am I going regret not getting a higher amp p/s like their 35 amp one? Is there another brand that I should look for? Thanks for any tips!!

Greg
9-7-1 Coastal Maine Mobile usually hanging out on 38 LSB
At the home QTH, Uniden Madison/Realistic TRC 457
In the mobile, HR2510/Grant XL
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: 13.8v DC power supply question

Post by MDYoungblood »

Look at the PS's on DNJ, they have a 30 and 50 amp, both at a decent price. The Astron PS is an excellent choice too, they have several versions that fit what you need. The switching supply is cheaper than a linear supply and half the weight. I would look at one that is more amerage than needed, if you need 20 amps look at a 30.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Hey..

Also take a look at the Diamond GZV4000 and GZV6000.

Switching power supplys but work great and not a bad price either.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Post by Slyguy »

I have the GZV4000. Rock solid. Love that it has high current out on the back and a cig lighter plug and low current spring terminals in the front.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
yota167
Donor
Donor
Radio: Stryker490HP

Post by yota167 »

I run a Pyramid Power Supply. There readily available in stores, and I open them up and solder new radio leads , with strain reliefs of course, directly off the circuit board so there is 2 "hardwired" 3prong radio plugs. Saves having to pull them off a lot if your tinkering with seperate radios and frees up the stock wire jacks for other things.
Yota167
Getting back in the game...
Was running fat boys, Davemade's, and TS's.
Now just wanting to set up my Kenworth t880 Roll Off truck.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Good morning Eskimo_Pie

The rule of thumb is: Whatever the current draw needed you should add 50% to that. Since Astron does not make a 30 amp supply you need to go 35 amp. I love Astron; they are the best made in my humble opinion and worth the money if you use them and plan to have it for 20 years without repair. They are low ripple (Clean) durable, and come with many features or a basic model.

I have a Pyramid but it only lasted 2 years before needing repair, and it wasn't as if I pushed it to the limit. They are inexpensive and will be fine for what you plan on using it for. You will need a 35 amp.

I don't like switching power supplies. Yes, they are light and can provide the current, but the one I have in my shop Sorensen DCS80-13E is good from zero to 80 volts and can supply 13 amps continuously at 80 volts. It has a variable current limiter. The biggest problem is the fan keeps coming ON and it noisy (And I mean NOISY). It interferes with my tests requiring audio.

If you are going to use just that radio, then the 35 amp Pyramid will be fine. If you are going to do tests and switch out radios, then go with the Astron 35 amp. Others swear by their switching power supplies. I have one, it wasn't cheap, and I hate it for no other reason because the fan is loud.
Respectfully as always,

Rick
Eskimo_Pie
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: SCUBA Diver
Radio: Grant XL/HR2510

Post by Eskimo_Pie »

Thank you for everybody's input. :cheers: I am watching ebay for a decent rs-35 Astron to come along. In my case, I am living in an apartment and cannot raise any sort of antenna, so right now the P/S would be used only occasionally for bench testing and such. Would having adjustable volts & amps be a good thing? Or should I just get a fixed volt/amp P/S?

Greg
9-7-1 Coastal Maine Mobile usually hanging out on 38 LSB
At the home QTH, Uniden Madison/Realistic TRC 457
In the mobile, HR2510/Grant XL
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Man for what you are wanting a small switching supply would work just fine and not take up very much room and the one I have the fan is whisper quiet. I leave it on at night and it's right next to the bed so I would think I'd notice if it was too loud. The site MD posted is where I got mine, the s-400 , I use an icom 746 as a base with it and have no issues with hash or not enough amps. For the money they are great little supplies. 67 shipped I believe. The Astron supplies are nice but are heavy and take up a bit of room. JMO. Good day.
WINKDOGG420
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: 4-2-ZERO NJ not 420
Antenna: Maco V 5/8 , Wilson
Radio: Connex,Cobra,Galaxy

Post by WINKDOGG420 »

I never heard anyone complain that they wish they bought a smaller power supply :)