cobra 2000 ???'s

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: wilson 1000
Radio: cobra 29ltd chrome

cobra 2000 ???'s

Post by LilRodbuster »

there is a local guy offering a 2000 to me for a 100$ it has xtra channels and is tuned he' says it will also run my 2 pill linear is this true?

Thanks guys for the help
Every Day is a new day make it better then the last
With prayer all is possible
genesbro
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Re: cobra 2000 ???'s

Post by genesbro »

For a hundred bucks that is a great deal if the radio is not all hacked up. You can easily double your money if you don't like it on Ebay in a second. I wish I could find one for a hundred bucks.
Radio, still the most fun way to communicate!
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by LilRodbuster »

well don't have it yet so can't look inside but as far as know just added chan tuned and aligned and know where it came from before him and have not heard of it being hacked up just a good talker..

bump bump

will it run a amp on the side is what I am wondering cause i can not find info on it having a power supply built in to do so
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

If your two pill is a mobile amp, then you need a separate power supply of at least
25-30 amps to adequately supply the amp. You "can" use a battery, but will need a
trickle charger on it.
Preacherman
Modifying Cobra 29's is my hobby.
Nagant
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: M104C, V-Quad
Radio: To Many To List

Post by Nagant »

LilRodbuster wrote:will it run a amp on the side is what I am wondering cause i can not find info on it having a power supply built in to do so
I'm not 100% sure what your asking but I'll try to answer as best as I can interpret. Yes the Cobra 2000 has an internal powers supply as it's a base station radio. If its internal power supply is working correctly it will power all the features of the radio just fine. However it will not power anything other than the radio itself if that is partly what you're wondering.

If it's working well I agree that is a good price for one. Especially if it comes with an original speaker. A few things to keep in mind about the Cobra 2000 is the meters were highly prone to becoming stuck if the radios were, or are, left to sit for long periods of no usage (months & years time frame). If they're stuck, or become that way, sometimes they can be freed up but success is real hit and miss. The frequency counter/clock module has a somewhat high failure rate as well. It's not a huge failure rate but I've seen a good number of them with failed units in my time and they're no longer made. If it does fail the radio still works fine. I've had luck picking up parts or parted out radios with good modules but those are getting harder to come by as time goes on since the radios haven't been made for a long time now. Not trying to talk you out of getting the 2000. Just throwing some “food for thought” items out there. Overall they're a good performing radio.
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by LilRodbuster »

well thanks for the reply's and yes it's a mobile amp and since my boat motor took a crap I have two battery's not being used so I guess if I wanted to skip shoot I could hook it up and skip.

thanks for the help as always it is time consuming to help people and it is appreciated
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

A Cobra 2000 for $100 bucks would be a steal IF in good condition. The problem I've found is that a lot of people out there don't take care of their radios...and the Cobra 2000 was the king back in the day. It's a shame that many of the 2000s out there today are beat to crap and have been whacked and hacked inside. To give you an idea how much these things are worth in good condition...I've seen them go for close to $500 in mint condition. Most go for over $300. There was a guy on eBay selling a brand new in the box Cobra 2000. It's gone now. I don't know if he actually sold it or just took the listing down. I suspect he took it down because it was on eBay for over a month without a single bid. I suspect the reason was because his "buy it now" price was $1000! The 2000 is a great radio but not $1000 great.
Yaesu FT-950
Yaesu FT-8100
Icom IC-2820 (with D-Star capability)
Kenwood TR-751 2M all mode mobile
Kenwood TM-3530 220 MHz mobile
Uniden Washington Base
Uniden HR-2510
Icom ID-92 HT
SteppIR 40-6M Yagi
OCF 75/80M dipole
Diamond V2000A 6M/2M/70cm ground plane antenna
Antron 99
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

I agree with Circuit Breaker, those radios have been around forever and most have been hacked to death. Here in my area there is one that has been passed around between operators for years, it is a POS. Someone will pop up with it every so often thinking they got a good deal.
LilRodbuster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by LilRodbuster »

as stated have not looked into but know the origin and only highs and lows put into it nothing else no mods just peaked and tuned that's it but looking like I;ll have it in a little while so we'll see and I will keep you posted on what i find thanks for all the suggestions and information as well this site is great
Craig
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Craig »

It's not a bad price for a Cobra 2000 but as other's have mentioned most of the radios are 30 years old, saw a couple at a local flea market a while back and asked the owner to pop the cover and they were hacked, loose wire, cut traces, walked away.
T korkle
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by T korkle »

The best $100 cobra 2000s are the ones found in people's closet they forgot we're even there! I have a few of those!
ogdoa
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Maco v5000/102"
Radio: Cobra 2000/RCI2970

Post by ogdoa »

I saw a Cobra 2000 parts radio go for 175 on ebay. If you don't want it......share the wealth. lol
Sometimes you feel like a duck....sometimes you dont.
151 FRIED CHICKEN
Branson, MO
Home channel
Coyoteman
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Larsen/A-99
Radio: Cobra 148 GTL

Post by Coyoteman »

I have mint condition 2000 it did get a cap replaced due to volume being low the tech looked it over and was very impressed in how good of condition the radio is in. I think the cap Went bad just from sitting I don't think it really got used the panel has no scratches on it. I am going to sell it, I live in a travel trailer and don't really have the room for. I have a 148 and uniden pc 122xl set up. I did try out the 2000 when I got it back locals and a guy from southern cal say it sounds great.
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Stoneman
Antenna: One Shot Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Post by Stoneman »

Well did he ever buy it...Curious how it was...
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

LilRodbuster wrote:there is a local guy offering a 2000 to me for a 100$ it has xtra channels and is tuned he' says it will also run my 2 pill linear is this true?

Thanks guys for the help
Good morning LilRodbuster

I guarantee the Cobra 2000 GTL has at least one issue with it. Even as a scrap or parts radio it is worth $100. The frequency counter alone is worth $85 to $100. If the meters are stuck they can be fixed. I have a 99% successful repair history repairing stuck meters. I will share that trade secret on this Forum shortly. The meters are worth $35 each if they are working. They all can be fixed if they are merely stuck. It just takes the proper tools, a steady hand, patience, and some practice. If you take an 18K ohm resistor and put it in series with a 9 volt battery the meter should go to full deflection. The current needed to go to full deflection and not beyond is 500 micro-amps.

If the radio has no holes, major dents or scratches it is worth $100. As mentioned, it is getting harder each month to fine a Cobra 2000 GTL in factory condition. I cringe when I see a radio that has holes or have modifications that are obvious. Factory original Cobra 2000s are worth more than ones that have been modified.

If the frequency counter reads 92.000 MHz, then counter is out of lock and the most likely problem is the Microprocessor. This part (TC5032P) has not been made in 38 years. It is a not worth repairing, but I know there is a tech out there that makes replacement counters, but it has no clock feature. If the display reads 7.8 MHz, then the problem is on the main board that feeds the counter; this can be repaired. Always check the radio in both AM and SSB and see if the display is correct. Sometimes you may see all Zeroes, in which case it may be on the main board or the counter. AM and SSB are fed to the frequency counter and the signal may go in one of two directions depending on the mode. Also, you may want to key the radio up and see if the counter works in both receive and transmit. If you see 35.0050 MHz on channel 20 AM you are missing the 7.8 MHz mixing frequency, it may show the proper frequency on SSB. This may be a problem on the main board and not the counter. (35.0050 MHz minus 7.8 MHz equals 27.2050MHz) Channel 20

If the radio has channels it most likely has had the PLL replaced from the Fujitsu MB-8734 to the Fujitsu MB-8719. The Fujitsu MB-8719 is worth about $35.

So, for $100 even if the radio is not fully functional, it is well worth it because you can double your money or more depending on what parts are not working as a parts radio. You will not lose your money.

One last problem is if the radio sat unused for a time; you will know because the meters will be stuck. If the meters are stuck, then the radio may have low receive. The repair is to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors. The bad caps are most likely in the receive circuit and being used as decoupling capacitors, but if you are going to replace the capacitors in the receiver you might as well replace them all. The larger filtering caps rated at 25 volts are rarely an issue and do not have to be replaced to fix the receiver. They are just after the power supply circuit and are used to filter out any ripple or spikes in the DC power supply. Replace them anyway because when they lose their effectiveness you will get a current surge and a voltage spike each time you turn the radio ON or OFF.

You can tell if the former owner was working the Side-Band mode because there will be ware around the voice-lock (Clarifier)

Here is a link to my educational website of a photo with a fine Cobra 2000 GTL in great condition. They were first introduced to the USA very late in 1977 and ended production in April of 1994. They were first made in Taiwan, and then later in The Philippines. From 30 years experience I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter where they were made; they are equally well built. You can always tell which country the radio was made if it is missing the Type Acceptance tag. The ones made in Taiwan have test points to attach your test probes. The Philippine model did not use these test points and you must rely and place your test probe directly to a component. From an operator's standpoint it makes no difference. As a technician it makes working on the radio a bit easier.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10783.html Click on any photo to get some additional information.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10782.html If you click on the photo you will come up with this Info.

Buy that radio for $100; you can't lose.

Have a great Thanksgiving and Holiday Season

Respectfully as always,

Rick

The CB Doctor (Retired)
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

Good post Rick, but I think it's about 5 years too late :P

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Radar-DLDN wrote:Good post Rick, but I think it's about 5 years too late :P

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
Good morning Radar-DLDN

LOL......Yeah I have been away for awhile and just started to post again. Your topic showed up at the top of the posts; I should have checked the dates. Well, maybe it will help someone just getting into CB and is interested in the Cobra 2000 GTL. Did you ever buy that Cobra 2000 GTL.

Best Regards,

Rick

The CB Doctor (Retired)