The Setup (almost complete)

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor
Handle: Aughtry 722
Call Sign: K4TXN
Antenna: President Iowa
Radio: President Bill FCC

The Setup (almost complete)

Post by Aughtry »

I know there's folks out there that have mobile setups that outperform just about anything. Check this out and let me know of any tips for improvement. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

The mobile setup:

Galaxy DX959 from G.I.Joe's with peak and tune, and modulation mod.
Astatic 636L microphone
Radio Shack SWR meter with 20,200,2000 watt ranges.
Palomar elite 250
Small RoadPro external speaker
Predator 10K antenna
Custom antenna mount

The Truck - 2010 Ford F150 Supercrew

In the cab:

The SWR meter is not hard mounted. It sits inside the lower open slot in the bottom of the console with a piece of rubber wedged underneath it to create a friction fit.

The Gray power wire is actually home power wiring. It handles 30amps, so anything I would put there is good to go. The bare copper wire in the center is attached to the mount on one end, and the fender on the other, in an attempt to reduce engine noise.

The bracket that holds the radio is a simple piece of bar with holes that I got from Home Depot, bent to fit, and used self tapping screws to put it to the floor.

The peppermint tin in the radio holds 2 SPST switches for the upper and lower channel mod.

I'm simi-anal about things, so wires are tie-wrapped and such.

The external speaker is mounted using a ProClip cell phone mount. While they are made to mount your cell phone to your dash or console without drilling holes, it can be modified for something like this. It has small edges that slip in between parts of the dash, in this case, the change pocket on the passenger side of the dash.

The Antenna:

I had an antenna mount custom made for my previous truck, mounted to the tool box. I tried using it here, but the 8 inches of antenna that was below the roof of the cab caused a multitude of issues. Lessons learned. I took it back to the fab shop that made it for me and had them add 8 inches of height to it. Now it is at cab height for this truck and setup.

This shot shows it a little better. It is mounted directly to the bed wall, but it's not just washers on the back side of the thin metal. There is another piece of steel (same as the mount) on the back side from top to bottom of the bed wall, giving it much more stability. The wire below the coax is the ground wire going to my ground block on the frame.

I did a little bit of inexpensive work to create a decent ground plane. I ground a spot on the frame down to bare metal and used a couple self-tapping screws to mount a small ground bar like you would find in your home's breaker pannel. I then ran wire from bare metal points on the hood, cab, bed, and the antenna mount to bond and ground all at the same point. Larger gauge wire would probably be better, but #10 is what I already have in abundance. The green, however, is 8 gauge braided to the cab. It's the largest item to ground and receives a great deal of vibration, so I went with a braided wire that's less succeptable to breakage due to vibration.

After lessons learned, I now have a SWR of 1.1 on 1 and 1.2 on 40.

The spring on the antenna will soon go away. A 17" shaft for the Predator is in the mail. I will replace the current stud and spring with a Breedl0ve stud and the 17" shaft. I'm hoping that will improve the system even further.

P.S. I'll be getting my license while saving for the RCI2970N4 that I'm drooling over.
Aughtry 7 double-deuce waivin' atcha from Prisontown, TX
President Bill II FCC AM/FM with President Iowa antenna
Yaesu FTM-400 with Larsen NMO2/70B antenna
Yaesu FT-891 with various antennas
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: The Setup (almost complete)

Post by 295 antenna »

The only thing i see is the amp being directly under the radio .Call me paranoid but i would think the heat (if you talk alot)will go up to the radio .That being said the set up looks good
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

lookin good. :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Post by Mtn Lynx »

Like the setup. Nicely done! :cheers:

I been drooling for the rci DX 2950. Lol
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

:bounce: Ryan, I don't think your anal @ all, just know what you want up front. Anything worth doing is worth doing it right. The whole installation is really nice, JMHO and good luck. Almost forgot, welcome to the forum from Georgia Dawg country.
David g............... :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

Upgrades made.

Received the 17" shaft today. Replacing the stud, spring, and 9" shaft didn't improve the SWR, at 1.2 across the board, but there is a noticeable increase in my receive.

The Breedl0ve stud.

and the antenna with the 17" lower shaft. Had to shorten the whip a couple more inches to tune it.

Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

looks good. a lot of thought and work went into this set up. I have my antenna behind my cab and need to boild me a mount like this. I have wanted to do this for years now after seeing the one JJD posted a pic of his mobile set up that is about like yours. my swr is about 1.7 to 1.8 so have not took the time to build one. looks like the strap metal you used is nice and heavy. I was going to use a piece of square tubbing for my mount but yours looks nice and should not flex any with what you made it out of.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: IMAX 2000/Maco Comet
Radio: DX2517 & Mark IV

Post by RodinKy »

Nice looking setup, should serve you well.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

sonoma wrote:looks good. a lot of thought and work went into this set up. I have my antenna behind my cab and need to boild me a mount like this. I have wanted to do this for years now after seeing the one JJD posted a pic of his mobile set up that is about like yours. my swr is about 1.7 to 1.8 so have not took the time to build one. looks like the strap metal you used is nice and heavy. I was going to use a piece of square tubbing for my mount but yours looks nice and should not flex any with what you made it out of.
I had a local fab shop make it for me from a simple drawing. 1/4 in steel. Walked in with the drawing to ask about it, and when he said $25 I replied SOLD!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

that was cheap to have it made for that price. if there was a place like that here I would have already had it made for mine. the material will cost about that much.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The only thing I would add is a few ferrite cores around the coax at the antenna for a common mode choke. If you have any rfi it will help. I ran a mount like this before I installed a puck on the roof.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

I think I've gotten the radio hobby bug! An update to the setup.

Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Like your antenna mount...Just wondering tho how you managed to get those screws and nuts on between the cab and bed?

I have a similar antenna set-u on my Tacoma, only I have the mount bolted down to the floor of the bed, because there's no way to get between the bed and cab for bolts...unless I removed the bed I guess.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

jessejamesdallas wrote: May 4th, 2017, 4:23 am Like your antenna mount...Just wondering tho how you managed to get those screws and nuts on between the cab and bed?

I have a similar antenna set-u on my Tacoma, only I have the mount bolted down to the floor of the bed, because there's no way to get between the bed and cab for bolts...unless I removed the bed I guess.
I used a piece of PVC pipe and duct tape, with a great deal of patience (curse words and slamming tools) to prop up the nut from underneath just well enough to put the bolt through and snug it up. Used impact to tighten without holding nut. The vibrating seems to help. I also have another piece of steel on the cab side of the bed for rigidity. Don't want the thin bed wall tearing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

Never thought about that! I need to secure mine better...now I got another weekend project! Thanks!

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ] Image
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Aughtry wrote: May 4th, 2017, 7:54 am
jessejamesdallas wrote: May 4th, 2017, 4:23 am Like your antenna mount...Just wondering tho how you managed to get those screws and nuts on between the cab and bed?

I used a piece of PVC pipe and duct tape, with a great deal of patience (curse words and slamming tools) to prop up the nut from underneath just well enough to put the bolt through and snug it up. Used impact to tighten without holding nut. The vibrating seems to help. I also have another piece of steel on the cab side of the bed for rigidity. Don't want the thin bed wall tearing.

I've used this to install a fastener in tight places, "Flexible Claw Type Pickup Tool", Image

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MDYoungblood wrote: May 4th, 2017, 11:31 am

I've used this to install a fastener in tight places, "Flexible Claw Type Pickup Tool", Image

3's

Greg
Heck. I need that to search for my missing tools under the hood!

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

jessejamesdallas wrote: May 4th, 2017, 12:18 pm
MDYoungblood wrote: May 4th, 2017, 11:31 am

3's

Greg
Heck. I need that to search for my missing tools under the hood!

The night before doing the install I would use a dab of silicone on the flat washer, lock washer, and nut to each other, use a high speed impact to cinch them up, saves some of the profanity for other thing. :icon_e_smile:

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bobcat
Donor
Donor
Handle: Bobcat
Call Sign: AI5RR
Radio: SBE Console V ; Sears Roadtalker 40 SSB

Post by Bobcat »