Yaesu 857D

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Yaesu 857D

Post by silvereagle1 »

image.jpeg
I was thinking about getting the 857D with my tax check in a few weeks. Anyone have one of these? I'd love to hear the ins and outs of this rig. Are they worth the money? Anyone use them on 11 meters and if so what kind of performance do you get out of them on 11 meters? Pros and cons if you convert for 11 meters etc. Tips and tricks on this radio is much appreciated. Thanks Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Re: Yaesu 857D

Post by milkman21218 »

This was my very first Ham rig. And I think that they are really great. The display is small and will do over 30 colors. HF/AM/FM/VHF/UHF/SSB. Yes they are worth it.
Central Maryland

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Nice little radios!! And yes they can be opened up for full coverage TX and RX. For what it's worth you might want to look into the kenwood ts480sat as well. A bit larger and easier to read display and they work well on both SSB and AM modes. Have friend that just got one, a ts480sat, and it sounds great on air, had a good receive, and has many features for about the same price as the 857d. Maybe a touch more. Oh yes, I'll say this also, my pal got the EU version of the ts480sat and not the US one. Not sure why, I think it's to do with more freqs. Not too sure on that one. Came from Athens, Greece. At any rate, the radio rocks! Just thought I'd throw that in there. The 857d is a nice radio as well and for its size, packs some power!! It's just so small!! But nice radio none the less!! And just for reference, the kenwood ts480sat is $849. And it has a built in antenna tuner as well. Again, just food for thought. Good luck with what ever you choose!!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I've given you my opinions in the PM's you sent and I've seen a couple comments here too I would like to add to. I agree with milkman that the screen is small but the radio is of excellent size for mobile use, to use indoors just get the patch cable and hook it up to the computer using HRD or HDSDR. The MARS/CAP mod opens it up, have the store do it, a warranty thing, I would apply for the ticket.
The only other radio comparable to it is the Icom IC-7100, same bands, both can be remote mounted and the head placed on a pedestal, great option for new vehicles with no legroom or mounting places.
The Kenwood TS480sat (the "at" means auto tuner) is nice but only has HF and 50mhz, if that is the radio you want go for the HX model (200 watt). The EU version (region 1) does have different frequency allocation but with a MARS/CAP mod it doesn't matter.
If your planning to do some digital, (data and voice) I'd wait a little while, with the discounts that Yeasu is offering I'd bet a new radio will be coming out soon with their "Fusion", since they have a base size radio already out, (FT-991), it most likely will be a mobile sized unit.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

Post by 231 »

That seems to be the all bander everyone goes to mostly because of cost. All of them will do 100w on 11m (SSB into a dummy load) once the Mars mod is done. If I recall you have to be careful doing the Mars mod on that radio...can't remember for sure though.

I don't mean to go against what Greg suggested but I've known lots of guys who regretted buying their 857D. In fact more that regretted it vs those who were glad by about 4-1. If I may recommend, slow down and keep your eyes peeled for a good used one...let someone else take the depreciation hit. They come up all the time on QTH, eham, and other sites in literally new condition and still under warranty. Mostly new hams supporting the ratio I shared. It really takes some learning with the 857D/897D (darn near the same radio). Other than that they are a good rig and very reliable.

Another good thing that Yaesu has going for it though is they work well even with lower voltage power like 12.5vdc typically (still prefer 13.8v though). My Icom's won't, and some Kenwood models (480S included) would struggle too. I almost bought an 857D when they first came out but didn't. They (especially 897D) are very popular among preppers as is the FT-817ND QRP rig. Another thing in a nut shell by those hams in the know: The 857D shines on VHF/UHF and seriously lacks on HF. Icom seriously lacks on VHF/UHF but shines on HF. Kenwood doesn't have an all bander short of the TS-2000...so the TS-480 is the closest (size wise). Truly that is what I've experienced, seen, and heard on the air over the years.

If this is your first HF rig and you have nothing but a CB (an export radio is still a CB) to compare it to then of course it's going to be like buying a Rolls-Royce. But believe me, once you've worked HF awhile and actually try other radios you quickly see the receiver filtering is not great on HF. Transmit audio quality adjustment leaves allot to be desired compared to Icom and Kenwood, too. Unlike CB's all of the HF rigs start cutting back at 1.5:1...so you need to be sure your standing wave is always good, too.

I agree...I would consider keeping an eye out for a good used TS-480S. Especially if you don't need VHF/UHF. Heck, if you can pick up the TS-480HX (200w model) you don't have to run the second power output finals and use it like a TS-480SAT (100w) if you want to. I've seen them in like new condition for as low as $700. That is one radio that really has very intuitive menus and settings and does sound good on the air. It's not a complicated radio that has decent transmit/receive and has retained decent resale value, too.

I bought a used Icom IC-7000 instead of the 857D and am so glad I did. Like I mentioned though Icoms are power hogs...they need 13.5v minimum (preferably 13.8v) to operate properly. They will shut off if power is too low. But the twin IF shift receiver and notch filtering in it are second to none and far exceed the being a power hog. I really love having my IC-7000 in the mobile. I ran it on the base for awhile (almost a year) too and it did great. I know a couple of guys using the IC-7100 too and they really like it as well. That might be another option to consider looking for.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up already though and I really hope it works out for you. As always follow your conscience. After all it's only money and we all have to start somewhere.

Best of luck.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Agreed. If I had my druthers it would be an Icom 7000 or the kenwood 480sat or HX. If you are using for 11m freeband mostly then either of these radios will work great. The kenwood does sound good on both am and SSB, and if setup correctly so do the Icom 7000's!! It's all about how you set them up as far as rx and tx sounds goes. But like 231 said, it's like comparing an apple to an orange!! Just ain't the same. I like my Icom 746 for base use and have been running an older kenwood ts140s in the mobile work van. It's a bit large, but the van has a hole cut out for the Icom 746 anyway so the kenwood fits just fine. But at any rate, you can't go wrong with either of the radios mentioned or even a good used one. Preferably one you can look at in person and see it transmit and receive and that all functions work. That is the one thing about buying used and not being able to see or use the radio is that you are taking a gamble. I lucked out with my kenwood ts140s, paid $300 shipped for it. The Icom 746 I paid more for, but am glad I got it!! Like said, take your time, and if you have an amateur radio shop near you, go check out the radios they have!!
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

Hey Mark..

Good luck on your decision...as the guys said...the 857D and TS480SAT/HX are awesome rigs.

I have both..the 857D is my backup and the 480SAT is in my 2014 Tacoma Double cab.

Like 231 said...check the Ham sites for a good used one. Stay away from the knuckleheads on fleabay.

A copy of this post and $5.28 will get you a Starbucks venti French Vanilla latte.

8)

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

I'm open minded to any of the three. The Yaesu appealed to me because I'm familiar with the menu system on them. I've not messed with icom or kenwood. My neighbor has an icom in his truck that I like. If the Mars mod is done just out of curiosity does the extra transmit frequencies show up in VFO or will they show up under "bands" as well. Example: 10 meters is listed under 10 meter band with the touch of a button. Will 11 meters show up under "bands" or will it have to be tuned via VFO?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Whatever the frequency is on the display is the frequency it will transmit at, 28.400.00 USB (10m), 14.200.00 USB(20m), just that as well as 27.385.00 LSB (11m) would be channel 38 on a CB, for receiving only of course :icon_e_wink:
The next topic should be an antenna .

3's

Greg

Post by 231 »

Yep what Greg said. It won't display which band, it will display the actual frequency, often the mode it's in, along with other important details. Not all of the details are displayed though. Things like mic gain aren't. Generally speaking many of the non-displayed things are "set and forget" types if you know what I mean.

As far as if you can tell if a rig already has the Mars mod, simply ask the owner. Most won't have it...but some will. You can also tell by keying the radio into a dummy load. If it won't key on say 27.215 MHz then it does NOT have the Mars mod. But don't let that stop you from getting a radio...many are quite simple to mod, some aren't. More modern rigs all banders tend to be the most difficult because they have so much stuff crammed into a small package. It's doable though.

Hope that helps a little.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The mod for this radio is rather easy, it takes longer removing/replacing the case screws than doing the mod, just a matter of completing 3 solder jumpers. If the radio is on frequency before the mod it will not change any settings. If you are buying a new radio I strongly suggest you have the store/shop do it so as to keep the warranty valid, a used radio I would get used to using it then do the mod yourself.

3's

Greg

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

After using this radio for a couple of months I notice that it doesn't sound all that great when tuned to 11 meters in the AM mode. It's hard to explain but the sound seems to be flat and compressed. SSB is fine just the AM. what is the reason for this?
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I don't know if you will want to try it but there is a mod to add some bass which would help with the AM receive, I'll PM you the site and if anyone else would like it, PM me for the mod.

3's

Greg

pabxone

Post by pabxone »

silvereagle1 wrote:I notice that it doesn't sound all that great when tuned to 11 meters in the AM mode. It's hard to explain but the sound seems to be flat and compressed. SSB is fine just the AM. what is the reason for this?
Try adjusting the IF Shift.

Bandwidth for most CB gear is about 2Khz and Ham gear is around 3khz.

The factory default IF bandwidth will be set somewhere around 2.9Khz as it is assuming you would be working another Ham radio and not a CB.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor

Post by silvereagle1 »

Thanks guys for the information. Just for kicks there are a couple of base stations in my area so I put the Lincoln back in the car. They came in strong and clear. Swapped out the Lincoln for the Yaesu and Yaesu wasn't picking them up nearly as well as the Lincoln. Gonna play with the If shift and see. Thanks for the suggestion. and thanks for the link greg
President Lincoln 2
567 East Tennessee