Help with power???

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
killswitch
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Help with power???

Post by killswitch »

Just purchased a Galaxy DX98VHP. Trying to install it in my big rig. Company won't let me run wires to batterys on truck. Can't put one inside the cab either. Any ideas how to feed this beast? I did the computer power supply mod to one I had laying around. It will give me 12.3 volts and 35 amps out. Tried to use an inverter to power it but inverter is not big enough once I turn the power up. Any ideas as to how I can power this radio would be greatly appreciated.
Deleted User 14541

Re: Help with power???

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Don't bother with an inverter and power supply. Neither the inverter or power supply and 100% efficient and this is a major waste of power. Not to mention the receiver noise it may cause. If the inverter could handle such a load you could just tie into the power cables feeding the inverter. Is it a big inverter with large power cables coming from the batteries? If it is you may be able to use them.

I don't know what kind of truck you're driving but some have a heavy duty buss bar next to the fuse panel. It will be a flat copper bar with lugs and cables attached. You can use a crimp on ring terminal and make a clean connection. Be sure to use a fuse. You could get your power there and then find a good ground as close to the radio as possible.
Last edited by Deleted User 14541 on November 5th, 2015, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If you can't run wires to the battery...sell it. Buy a Cobra 29...

There are no other options...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
killswitch
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by killswitch »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried hooking it to the existing wiring harness for a standard cb in the truck. It will run it but once i turn the power past a certain point, it has a buzzing noise. If i can't find a way to run it off the 12volt accessory port or existing cb wires then the company won't let me run it. The inverter i tried was a 750 watt. It is powered from the 12volt outlet. BTW, i have a Cobra 29 that i was using with a linear. It works fine using the cb wires.
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you saying that you want to use an inverter to convert 12v DC to 120v AC, then a power supply to convert 120v AC back to 12v DC?
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello killswitch,
Welcome to the forum. Your in a world of hurt if you can't run wires directly to the battery, that radio needs at minimum 30amps. You say the company won't let you run the leads (I know maintenance/warranty issues) but can your shop do it, you might have to supply the material. It's that or go back to what you were using, I don't see any other way.
I always ask new members to post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others can say "hi", thanks.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Is this a truck that you use constantly and don't share? You may have some fun with using an alternative power source, like a battery, along with the truck power you do have access to, in order to make it all work if you are up to it. Dare I say it, the old stereo capacitor in conjunction with the truck, where the capacitor absorbs the peaks? Solar backup? The possibilities are endless with enough imagination.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

killswitch wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried hooking it to the existing wiring harness for a standard cb in the truck. It will run it but once i turn the power past a certain point, it has a buzzing noise. If i can't find a way to run it off the 12volt accessory port or existing cb wires then the company won't let me run it. The inverter i tried was a 750 watt. It is powered from the 12volt outlet. BTW, i have a Cobra 29 that i was using with a linear. It works fine using the cb wires.
If the radio will not run off the 12 volt accessory port you can not run a power supply off an inverter to power the radio. The inverter and power supply are not 100% efficient so your power supply can only supply less current than was available at the accessory port. For that to work the inverter or power supply would have to generate it's own electricity. Know what I mean?

Unless you can find and tap into a buss bar like I mentioned the odds are against you. You could use a sealed battery in the cab and build a charger to plug into the 12 volt socket but if it's ever overcharged it will release dangerous gas. The car audio cap won't hurt but I never had any luck with them. A slight improvement on SSB but nothing for AM. In a situation like yours where the 12 volt socket doesn't supply anywhere near the power requirements it isn't going to work.

How much amperage do you have at the cb power connection or 12 volt socket. I'd try to find a radio that will run with the power you have. The signal strength may not be that much lower.