Gap Hear It DSP Noise cancelling speaker

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
dnguillory
Donor
Donor
Antenna: br140 nmo
Radio: Uniden 980ssb

Gap Hear It DSP Noise cancelling speaker

Post by dnguillory »

I thought I'd share this with everyone. This speaker is absolutely awesome. I have the speaker hooked to my magnum 257 HP/TB. The magnum has always been a great radio with the best incoming audio that I've heard. Meaning the signals I get are loud, clear, natural and sound better than my 2510 and 2950. That is with NB and Low button not used.The reports I get from my audio are best of the three as well. The problem has always been that if you don't use the "Tone Low" or NB/ANL, you cant tolerate the rf it picks up from power lines and neon or LED flashing lights in the mobile. The receiver is so hot, you can rarely have it all the way up without getting wore out and sometimes, it makes it hard to understand the audio signal if its DX.
So I went on a quest for an out bored DSP or filter that would not attenuate the audio, but cut the white noise and RF interference. Well, I found it. The Gap Hear it is awesome. It works great. There is one thing that is weird when hooked only to my magnum... It gives talk back. I can only assume that its because the HP/TB model I have has the talk back circuit so that you can use the RF Limited 2018/257 turbo mic and activate the talkback. It also is so loud, I have to use a mic that is different than the stock powered mic. I currently have the SRA-198 mic which has less energy than the stock or my topgun 56. It works good with this mic. This is not an issue with the president and I haven't hooked it to the 2950 yet. (I would use the 2950 fulltime, but its too big. It has to be 29 chassis size or no wider than 7.25" to fit where I install them. I had the 2950 on the dash the other day and it got hot from the sun and had no output. Ok when it cooled off)

Nevertheless, the Gap Hear It dsp speaker is killer and exceeded my expectations.
Delta 225 central Oklahoma..."the cottonmouth"
ram 3500 mega Laramie longhorn
current: Uniden bearcat 980ssb, predator 250 2pill, browning br140 nmo center through roof.
Vehicle Hauler
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Gap Hear It DSP Noise cancelling speaker

Post by 1206FL »

Is this the one that is similar to the West Mountain one?? Have looked at those and have considered one for a long time. Thanks for the review as well.
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

That is good to hear. My magnum and optima have very sensitive receivers. Both pick up everything like you described. Even getting by other vehicles at times lol. The optima has extra filtering for SSB which works awesome, but I would like the DSP speaker to be able to use the magnum or even with my Icom 746 or kenwood ts140s. Again thanks for the reviews. So it cut all the BS noise out that plagues the magnum? If so, man it would be worth it. Good day.
dnguillory
Donor
Donor

Post by dnguillory »

Yes. It works very well. It is all it says it should be and more IMHO. Look it up on you tube. There is a demo with an icom 718 and other radios.
current: Uniden bearcat 980ssb, predator 250 2pill, browning br140 nmo center through roof.
Vehicle Hauler
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

Thanks man!! Appreciate the reply!! May be pick one up today LOL. Or ordering one at least.
dnguillory
Donor
Donor

Post by dnguillory »

I sent you a PM but it still shows in outbox. It includes where I got mine.
Vehicle Hauler
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

Hey..

I've used a Gap Hear It, and the West Mountain CLRskpr but IMO the best sounding speaker has been the Sounds Sweet.

The Gap Hear It and WM CLRspkr are in my shack and I have then connected to various radios/rigs.

Wen I first got my license...I was running a Kenwood TS430S with an unamplified center surround sound speaker and that worked well....but picked up a lot of hiss and other noise.

Good review on the Gap Hear It.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

dnguillory
Donor
Donor

Post by dnguillory »

What's good about the gap is it has a speaker out jack for headphones or external speaker. So you can set and put the gap where you can reach it for adjustment and plug in your existing speaker and use it.
Vehicle Hauler
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have an Icom SP-20 on my ham radio, the quality of sound is excellent compared to a regular speaker. Ive never heard any of the DSP models but will check one out at the next fest.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dnguillory
Donor
Donor

Post by dnguillory »

I want a studio monitor type speaker for my mobile as well. I can plug any speaker into the gap and enjoy the filtering but high quality of the speaker. I prefer my radio shack speaker output to the actual audio from the little gap speaker. In a way, you could use the Gap Hear it in-line dsp module vs the speaker in a base setup. In fact when I complete my rig, that's what I will use... the module instead of the speaker so I can use one of my studio monitor.
Vehicle Hauler