I want a big CB radio! Where do I start?

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
GarnerZ
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by GarnerZ »

ive always ran cobra 25's , 29's, finally got into a bigger radio. Connex 3300 Hp, peaked 52 pep watts. and deadkey at 2 watts for the davemade, you can talk all day!!!!! MO POWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o2much4me
Donor
Donor

Post by o2much4me »

Sparky was the only one I decided to let work on my Galaxy DX99v I purchased it refurbished for $290. out the door from a Dallas CB shop. Al loved the radio said he could have sold it 3 times while he was testing it. I really enjoyed dealing with Sparky. Found some LMR 400 on eBay (for $1.00 a ft) I need to install now... Love this forum. Most all my decisions were based on info from here.
"I'm Always Between Scylla and Charybdis"
darkside335
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by darkside335 »

Posted: Friday, 05 May 2006, 5:10 Post subject: I want a big CB radio! Where do I start?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want a big CB radio! Where do I start?

The basic question is "WHERE DO I START?" I have read a lot of good advice, but it all fails to answer the basic question. Going to need lots o duckies. you can spend them a few at a time or all at once, But still going to take lots o duckies. If you want a "BIG RADIO" start by going to the bank. That is step #1. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. don't skimp on coax or antenna

Your friend this end, Darkside, sayin' see ya.
COPENHAGEN
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by COPENHAGEN »

start by buying a good radio and a good antenna than buy a 12 pill Dave made that a big set up. good luck form :evil: 306
Unit 306 from the back woods of north east Georgia JUST GOT DOWN
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee

Post by TX_Dj »

Nothin' quite like digging out a 2 year old topic and brushing the dust off. :)
lonesome 500
Donor
Donor

Post by lonesome 500 »

I want a big CB radio!
C B ....... Radio

big enough...? :shock:

the size....bell and whistles etc.....has nothing to do with what can be done with it....

the operator makes the radio........

a great antenna system should be the highest priority
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Connex,Cobra

:

Post by 403 »

You hit the nail on the head nice job!Well done :D
SmallTruckBigRadio

RE :

Post by SmallTruckBigRadio »

403 wrote:You hit the nail on the head nice job!Well done :D
Thanks 403
909 wis

Re: I want a big CB radio! Where do I start?

Post by 909 wis »

you want a bigger and louder cb? ask around what other people are using. If you talk skip ask them what kind of setup they have. To be heard now days, you must have a proper antenna, remember you pay for what you get. i like the imax2000 for a base antenna, i frequently run galaxy or my connex radio. You dont have to have a six hundred dollar radio. If you like skip I would suggest getting a amp. mobile I use a eagle 250a with a wilson 5000 magnet mountand a galaxy 99, I hit texas, california and whatnot all the time. i started with a uniden grant with amp and a cheap antenna then upgraded to a galaxy 99 with amp. Big difference.
mightymike
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by mightymike »

I wasted a bunch of money on CBs. Getting ready to spend some more. I have the Predator 10k on Order. I doubt I will be able to drive over to Radioactive or Mud Ducks place, as I'm SE regional. Are there any great CB shops here in Florida that can do a nice rear cab install with some good Coax? Like the 213 mentioned above
Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Sniper X »

I'll add my 2cents. I have the all dreaded Cobra 200GTLDX but mine works flawlessly and puts out about 200 pep on SSB. It rocks on AM too but I use it solely as a base. I will at some point get a nice HD amp to augment it but for now it talks allover the eastern US with glowing sound and signal reports. I usually get that YOU SOUND LIKE A LOCAL thing. I also have a DX77HML in the mobile, with either a Browning base load (500w rated) and a DX400 or DX667 on it and get super reports out of it too. I have listened to both these by using the other radio and having a buddy transmit on the other. They both sound loud and clear. Neither are tweaked on much at all other than alignment and a little mod push. The base uses a AS Starduster and the mobile is either the Browning or a Wilson 5000. I want another DX959 for another mobile as all my other radios are AM only being 29s. My old DX959 ROCKED!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Sniper X wrote:I'll add my 2cents. I have the all dreaded Cobra 200GTLDX but mine works flawlessly and puts out about 200 pep on SSB. It rocks on AM too but I use it solely as a base. I will at some point get a nice HD amp to augment it but for now it talks allover the eastern US with glowing sound and signal reports. I usually get that YOU SOUND LIKE A LOCAL thing. I also have a DX77HML in the mobile, with either a Browning base load (500w rated) and a DX400 or DX667 on it and get super reports out of it too. I have listened to both these by using the other radio and having a buddy transmit on the other. They both sound loud and clear. Neither are tweaked on much at all other than alignment and a little mod push. The base uses a AS Starduster and the mobile is either the Browning or a Wilson 5000. I want another DX959 for another mobile as all my other radios are AM only being 29s. My old DX959 ROCKED!
Have you looked at the Galaxy 979? I run one in my Toyota Tacoma with a 2x4 Davemade and make just as many contacts in DX with it, as I do with my 16 pill Davemade in my Suburban... one thing I like about the 979's is they are the same size as the Cobra 29's and have the blue LED's.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

its bad when i can take my cobra 25 or cobra 29 both with VP control and a volted 2pill box and put them echoing exports on the back of the bus

95% of the system starts with the antenna, mounting location, how its mounted, an coax

most people want to get a 300 to 500 bells and whistle radio and hook it up to granpaws old oilcan or whip back in the day talked across the country antenna story

a big radio is what you determine to be a big radio
100 % modulation is 100 % modulation
theres nothing useable past that point

name your export radio
i call on my cobra 25 with VP and a box with half the power that the export will do
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Sniper X »

Lets see that Cobra 25 ...And then I'll be impressed. I have a 29 that does the same as your cobra 25 but that isn't at all the point when a guy wants SSB and more channels.
North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck »

My Bad
If he wants ssb then get a ssb radio
and a true ssb radio does not have echo
so get a true ssb radio

February 11 2013

point is i can take my plain jane cobrs 25 or 29 with a VP mod and a custom 2pill box and i can knock out half the export talkers on a channel
then i can volt that same 2pill and knock the other half of exports out

so the question is whats a Big Radio
nothing specail about my cobra 25 or 29

also point again 100% modulation is 100% modulation
any more and its no good on that channel
now you can make your watt meter move more but the guy on the other end wont see it

would you want a cobra 29 doing 1 watt swing to 10 watts into a 1x4
or would you want a export doing 10 watt swing to 100 into a straight 4pill

Sniper X wrote:Lets see that Cobra 25 ...And then I'll be impressed. I have a 29 that does the same as your cobra 25 but that isn't at all the point when a guy wants SSB and more channels.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
Sniper X
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Sniper X »

Well a lot of exports have echo but it is defeat able for SSB use. And I agree on the modulation thing and that one can do on AM on a well tweaked 25 and a good box that one can do with a export and a box. Except for the SSb part. I personally don't use echo on AM or SSB but sometimes I hear people use it on SSB but usually by mistake. Good question about what constitutes a big radio. To me of course since I have been around the Cb and HAM since about 1972 I think in reality that is the sound of it on the other end. Not how physically large or how many bells and whistles it has. BUT, a lot of newbies and seasoned pros love the big exports and some of them sound great big pretty much stock so there is that as well. I will say that one of the best sounding BIG radios I have and have ever heard is my Po Dunk AM only Uniden Zachery T. It sound like a huge station and is just well tweaked. Even without the DX400 it blasts.
litng1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by litng1 »

Ok who is this sparky id like to send my connex3300 hp to him for some work.Thanks

litng1 from Bardstown ky.
Worster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: MisterWorster
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: 2 tin cans a string

Post by Worster »

litng1 wrote:Ok who is this sparky id like to send my connex3300 hp to him for some work.Thanks

litng1 from Bardstown ky.
Sparky is no longer doing radios due to a health issue I believe it was, which is to damn bad cause I have bought 5 radios off him 4 of which were for my buddies and 1 for myself, wishing i would of been able to purchase my Galaxy from him, but the radios that were purchased from him they're all still in tip top shape, Check out **Non Sponsor** in Carlise Pennsylvania, just sent my Galaxy 94hp out to him and it was gone about a week and a half, it came back with good clear loud audio, has a website, and prefers to email, very quick to reply
My Bare feet:
Magnum S-6 Tuned by Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 4600 Turbo, Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 3400 HP, Sparkys CB Shack, Astatic 636L
2 Single Coil Predator 10K 12 inch shafts
"I'm Just a Matchbox Car playing in a Tonka Truck World"
Forgiven
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: K40
Radio: Mirage RCI 2950

Post by Forgiven »

Ok so what your saying is the fact that I Have a Galaxy dx 949 that swings 30 watts wide open sounds, great as it is. I am planning to push a Palomar Fet LD 450 1x4. Turn the power all the way down when using the linear, of course. Through my 3 foot k40(20000 watts) antenna bolted to the front of my truck bed. On a custom built aluminum antenna bracket. Doing a channel mod as soon as I get all my stuff in. Wiring the Palomar direct to the battery is best? I am sure you guys will roger that. May not do the trick?
Dgrimone
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Dgrim
Antenna: Monkey Made @ moonraker
Radio: striker RS955 @ browning golden eagle

Post by Dgrimone »

what are you looking for I have a lot of contacts that can help you with what you want hit me up on (FB) Toth Jame is my (FB) page message me and Ill help you with the cb info
Rob Roy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Rob Roy »

Well now, this is exactly what I need....I am starting almost from the ground up. I have an alder 'hot shot" Ford F Super Duty that had a CB installed. It came equipped with dual mirror mount antennae. I want an attractive looking radio that I can add power to it. I will be one of the those guys that want to shoot ducks with a 50 cal, but don't need to get there all at once. I like the idea of building a system in case one component fails I don't have to replace the entire system.

In the 80's when I was on the air I ran Cobra 19 LTD. I like the looks of the Cobra 148 or 149 but not stuck on anything, First thing is I need a radio and then I need to know if my existing antennae set up will work. Who wants to jump in and offer some info up?
Captain Mark
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

An old thread but I will bit. First look for a radio that fits your needs, AM only or maybe SSB, I like mine to have SSB as its easier to talk further with the same power for lack of huge long explanation. Next steer clear of the peaked and tuned JUNK!!!! A radio with stock output and a power Mic will sound WAY better. I am sure there is a group that disagrees with me though so they might have their opinion that I have the most respect for as well. Anyway as far as the antenna system goes you will have to check it. First check the coax for breaks, pinches, worn outer cover abrasion, ect. Next be sure all the antenna mounts are to ground. Once that is all good it needs to be check for good SWR. This is just a good first start.
Kerry
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Rob Roy wrote: December 30th, 2018, 1:28 pm Well now, this is exactly what I need....I am starting almost from the ground up. I have an alder 'hot shot" Ford F Super Duty that had a CB installed. It came equipped with dual mirror mount antennae. I want an attractive looking radio that I can add power to it. I will be one of the those guys that want to shoot ducks with a 50 cal, but don't need to get there all at once. I like the idea of building a system in case one component fails I don't have to replace the entire system.

In the 80's when I was on the air I ran Cobra 19 LTD. I like the looks of the Cobra 148 or 149 but not stuck on anything, First thing is I need a radio and then I need to know if my existing antennae set up will work. Who wants to jump in and offer some info up?
Kinda a loaded question....Could be more helpful if I knew more about what your looking for and what your willing to spend on the radio and set-up.

How deep are your pockets?
AM only radio, or AM/SSB?
small radio like the cobra 19, or average size radio like the cobra 29's?

As for the antenna...if it were me, I would ditch the co-phased antenna set-up and just go with one on the roof.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

jessejamesdallas wrote: December 30th, 2018, 2:31 pm
Rob Roy wrote: December 30th, 2018, 1:28 pm Well now, this is exactly what I need....I am starting almost from the ground up. I have an alder 'hot shot" Ford F Super Duty that had a CB installed. It came equipped with dual mirror mount antennae. I want an attractive looking radio that I can add power to it. I will be one of the those guys that want to shoot ducks with a 50 cal, but don't need to get there all at once. I like the idea of building a system in case one component fails I don't have to replace the entire system.

Kinda a loaded question....Could be more helpful if I knew more about what your looking for and what your willing to spend on the radio and set-up.

How deep are your pockets?
AM only radio, or AM/SSB?
small radio like the cobra 19, or average size radio like the cobra 29's?

As for the antenna...if it were me, I would ditch the co-phased antenna set-up and just go with one on the roof.
I'm there with JJ .I mean there is so many ways you can go from stock and running a Amp or if you got the bucks there is some converted 10 meter {ham/CB) radios that fit the bill pretty well also. I dont know much about dual antennas though. I do know a through the roof mounted antenna works the best.
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
Rob Roy
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Rob Roy »

Thank you all for your replies, it's really a good feeling to have some comradery. Now, Jesse james….just a little bit of research on my end and I've already ruled out the Cobra148. I do remember President CB's when I was running in the 80's, glad to see they have a good share in the market. As far as cost, I don't purchase items based on cost alone, I am more of a value type of guy. meaning if 1 radio is $25 and you can talk across the street the other radio is $1000 and I'm talking to Ukraine, I'm taking the high road everytime. Not that I need to talk to Ukraine, just saying. I want a radio that can get over the white noise on channel 19 while traveling. I don't buy cheap.
Captain Mark