Tram D201 power supply

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
ScallyWagger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: ScallyWagger
Antenna: DMXHD-40
Radio: Tram D-201

Tram D201 power supply

Post by ScallyWagger »

Hi all!

I picked up an all original Tram D201, 23 channel. I assuming it is second production, just prior to move to Mexican production facilities. I noticed that there is a heat signature on cover. Should I start by replacing the main can style capacitors and related resistors. I picked up a JJ 500V dual section tube amp capacitor and mounting clamp to use in place of C5 capacitor. For C624, I was thinking on using axial 10uf 450V capacitors, hiding them underneath.
For resistors, I plan on using metal oxide blue flameproof. For other capacitors, I have a kit for this transceiver. Will this aid in reducing heat? After all, heat = short life.
ScallyWagger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Re: Tram D201 power supply

Post by ScallyWagger »

Photo of D201
ScallyWagger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by ScallyWagger »

s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redlght
Donor
Donor
Antenna: astroplane
Radio: a few diifferent

Post by redlght »

Well yes and no on the heating ... the bigger wattage resistors will take the heat better but dissipating say 10 watts is 10 watts and heat is heat unless you go so over board they never warm up at all but that's a big resistor. The bigger ones will not get to the flame on part so that will help in over heating the board. Also leave some longer leads and do not place them right on the circuit board they need some room for air under them.
ScallyWagger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by ScallyWagger »

Okay, thanks :)