Quick amp question......

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
BiggieJ

Quick amp question......

Post by BiggieJ »

Hi everyone...

I picked up an amp from someone and right now I don't have anyone in my neck of the woods at this time to give me a radio check.

I put it on the Asticic meterand on low it pegs out my 100w meter. That's on low.

My question is, when I key the mic and speak into it the power meter goes down 20-30 watts. Is that normal?

Preamp works fine.

The amp is a Digital Sports Systems amp. It has no sticker on it so not sure the model number but I do know that I already had a 500S and it is much bigger than that. It has Power, AM/SSB, HI/LOW and Preamp switch. Power swith is red and the others white. They are plastic rocker switches. It also uses replays.

Any ideas about the needle going backwards? Is that normal?

Thanks,
John

(edited by MDY)
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Re: Quick amp question......

Post by Crusher »

Sounds like it's overdriven. Not sure what or how many transistors in it.
BiggieJ

Post by BiggieJ »

Thanks Crusher...

I just redead my post and niticed I may not have been clear on something. I was refering to the Amp Mater needle moving backards when you speak. I have been able to speak with someone abot 35 miles away now tho.

Thanks,
John

PS - Later I will pull the cover and look at the pills.
Crusher
Donor
Donor
Handle: Crusher
Radio: Cobra 29

Post by Crusher »

If the current meter is backing up when you are talking. Your driving the snot out of amp. Lower the dead key into amp.
BiggieJ

Post by BiggieJ »

Cool... thanks for the info. I'll tune it down tomorrow.

Have a great day,
john
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

use the 1 to 4 method for the amp. which this means is if the amp will put out 200 watts peak the amp should dead key around 50 watts out before you talk into it. when normal talking the amp will drop down in watts out, 200 will be the peak out put when say talking loud into it.