i think its a fire bird

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

i think its a fire bird

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

this good or bad I'm not sure what the watts are don't know nothing about it

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: i think its a fire bird

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Not a Firebird, but defiantly made by R.F. Linear Amplifiers... They made about a half dozen amp's under different names. The Firebired and Kicker 500 like I have were 1x3 tuber's.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Gotcha I know where there is one just like the one you have for like a 150 bucks and works dude said he needs the money. That a good deal and are they a good amp.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

If the tubes are good, they work. That one looks to be smaller than what I have...I use mine all the time with my Cobra 2000. They don't like allot of drive, something like a Cobra 25 or 29 is all you would want ot run with it...Is that one a mobile or base?

Tubes can run $50 to $100 for it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

It looks like a 2 tuber, probably 6JU6 tubes, a 100w amp. Clean looking except for the marker spots, hate when people do that. Take a pic of the inside next time too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Sorry didn't get right back to you guys had something come up. I ended up finding one just like yours jessejammes

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

EZ CHOPPER wrote:Sorry didn't get right back to you guys had something come up. I ended up finding one just like yours jessejammes

Well...not exactly like mine, that one "IS" a Firebird...Mines a Kicker 500....No difference tho, both use the same tubes... same basic box's just different name on the front...Not real sure what that small knob is for on yours...Don't remember Fire Birds having that knob...On the Kicker 500 like I have, there's a toggle switch for HI-LOW, but Don't think Fire Birds had the HI-LOW switch.

Just don't use it with any radio that swings more than 15w. It will take a 3w DK, but gets warm quick if you talk too much since there's no fan. (least mine don't have a fan)
PA629

Post by PA629 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
EZ CHOPPER wrote:Sorry didn't get right back to you guys had something come up. I ended up finding one just like yours jessejammes

Well...not exactly like mine, that one "IS" a Firebird...Mines a Kicker 500....No difference tho, both use the same tubes... same basic box's just different name on the front...Not real sure what that small knob is for on yours...Don't remember Fire Birds having that knob...On the Kicker 500 like I have, there's a toggle switch for HI-LOW, but Don't think Fire Birds had the HI-LOW switch.

Just don't use it with any radio that swings more than 15w. It will take a 3w DK, but gets warm quick if you talk too much since there's no fan. (least mine don't have a fan)

I have two Firebirds, one with the small knob on the front, one without. The small knob controls the drive level, on mine all the way down is around 160W d/k from the amp, all the way to the right is around 250W amp d/k. YMMV, depending on what you're radio is keying into the amp, but those numbers are representative.

Do yourself a BIG favor, keep the drive knob turned all the way down (to the left). You won't see any more total watts out of the amp running it wide open, just less swing and you'll start to sound pinched, plus your tubes' lifespan will go to Hell. (Ask me how I know....) Sweep tubes like the 6JE6C/6LQ6 weren't designed as RF amplifier tubes, and AM especially is hard on them. With the availabilty of them and the price these days, anything you can do to lengthen tube longevity is only smart.

The amps can also be fairly easily modified to run either 24JE6 or 31LQ6 tubes which are more readily available and a bit cheaper. Info on these mods should be available on the Web, just a FYI.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

PA629 wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:

I have two Firebirds, one with the small knob on the front, one without. The small knob controls the drive level, on mine all the way down is around 160W d/k from the amp, all the way to the right is around 250W amp d/k. YMMV, depending on what you're radio is keying into the amp, but those numbers are representative.

Do yourself a BIG favor, keep the drive knob turned all the way down (to the left). You won't see any more total watts out of the amp running it wide open, just less swing and you'll start to sound pinched, plus your tubes' lifespan will go to Hell. (Ask me how I know....) Sweep tubes like the 6JE6C/6LQ6 weren't designed as RF amplifier tubes, and AM especially is hard on them. With the availabilty of them and the price these days, anything you can do to lengthen tube longevity is only smart.

The amps can also be fairly easily modified to run either 24JE6 or 31LQ6 tubes which are more readily available and a bit cheaper. Info on these mods should be available on the Web, just a FYI.
So the small knob is like a variable HI-LOW switch...OK...

First set of 6JE6A/6lQ6 tubes I bought I got 4 NOS for $100...Then decided since they were getting harder to find NOS, I ended up paying $130 for the 4...(RCA tubes)

Now, they want $25 for just one "Used" tube! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinta ... 2779500701
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

when I turn the little knob on mine it seems to drop to watts down
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

EZ CHOPPER wrote:when I turn the little knob on mine it seems to drop to watts down
Yeah, it's just a variable power knob...Just wondering what watts out are you seeing?
PA629

Post by PA629 »

EZ CHOPPER wrote:when I turn the little knob on mine it seems to drop to watts down
Exactly. See my last post above. ^^^^^^^^^^