power supply for mobile 3cx3000

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Bailjumper
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

power supply for mobile 3cx3000

Post by Bailjumper »

I have a rf deck thats complete, i just need to know what i need for power supply, i already have big 4 wire 0/0 conversion and 300 amp alternater.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: power supply for mobile 3cx3000

Post by MDYoungblood »

Got a local that runs a ceramic tube in his pickup, powers it off a Honda Generator in the bed, has the 220v to the inside. He said it is way less expensive than the additional alternator setup some use.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Re: power supply for mobile 3cx3000

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

It's not much different than a base amplifier. 3 phase from the alternator to the HV transformer. The rectifiers and everything else will be the same as a base amplifier. Most regulate plate voltage with engine speed but a couple of guys were building HV regulators...not sure if they're still around the hobby.

You'll still have the filament power to work out but there's a few different ways to go about that. If you already had a large generator that would be cool but if you don't the alternators would be cheaper. A generator that will produce 50 to 60 amps at 220 vac will cost you.