Moderator: JR Moderator

d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd
Name: Daniel

amp coming over phone

Post by d-minus » Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 20:12 PM

I installed a ad-203 in a cobra29ltd I have it works great. But my mom calls me every time she is on the phone and I am talking on the radio with amp on. The phone is a land line not cordless. What can I put on my end or hers to cure this. Thanks. D-minus

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Re: amp coming over phone

Post by sonoma » Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 20:22 PM

I had the same problem years ago and I just bought a better phone and all went away. cheap hard wired phones do not have very good rejection on them. mine was a stock AT&T phone and bought a uniden and it stopped. we lived close to a radio station and they came in when it was wet out side on the AT&T phone.even tried some chokes on the phone and it did not help it.

d-minus
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: cobra 29ltd
Name: Daniel

Post by d-minus » Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 20:35 PM

Boy Sonoma when I read that I thought you have been spying on us. That is exactly what she has AT&T will not buy nothing else can you believe that. Same problem when it rains to. I have bought her a good cordless phone but she says everyone can her on the cordless. I guess it is just a older generation thing. My wife can not hear me on our cordless, she refuses a cordless go figure. Thanks .Dminus

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 22:28 PM

I have a Uniden wireless home phone system with 4 cordless phones. all work off the one main unit that has a answering system in it also. I have had it now since 2006 and it still works good. it even has the phones that you can use it as a speaker phone. in fact I use the speaker portion more than the regular ear piece since I can just lay the phone down and talk on it. my Mom was 77 when she passed and could not figure out how to use the cordless phones.she was use to the old analog phones where when you picked it up you could start talking. the wireless you had to pick it up and hit the answer button and she would always hit a wrong button and could not talk. she would cancel the call or hit the mute button. the phone had the option where you could just pick it up and it would answer automatically and she still could not use it for hitting a button.
so old people and new fangled gadgets just do not go together.

dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Name: David g.

Post by dgbacb4148 » Monday, 25 April 2016, 21:41 PM

:bounce: Just as a side note, hope you never get a close neighbor who has a Organ/like in piano, they will let you know. Just some helpful info.
David g. :cheers:
AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik.

USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961

[/color Image Image

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 26 April 2016, 8:31 AM

In the late 60's early 70's I lived a mile from "WCAO, Six Ooh" radio, here in Baltimore, 50,000w AM station that played Rock and Roll, it would come thru the landline, the intercom from the house to the garage, think I heard it in the toaster a few times. It was AT&T turned to Bell Atlantic, never did get it out of the wires until it closed down, scrapped the towers, and made a HOA development on the property.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Thursday, 28 April 2016, 19:41 PM

d-minus wrote:Boy Sonoma when I read that I thought you have been spying on us. That is exactly what she has AT&T will not buy nothing else can you believe that. Same problem when it rains to. I have bought her a good cordless phone but she says everyone can her on the cordless. I guess it is just a older generation thing. My wife can not hear me on our cordless, she refuses a cordless go figure. Thanks .Dminus
Cordless phones have came a long way in the past 20 years. They used to be on 46 and 49 megahertz and almost every scanner would pick them up. I used to live in a town home community back in the 80's monitoring cordless phones was pretty fun. That's how I found out that one of my neighbors wife was cheating on him. He was a railroad worker and every time he would leave for two weeks she would call her boyfriend. Not ethical I know BUT it is free game when it's broadcasted over 49 megahertz. A few years later the phones were made in 900 megahertz which made it harder but not impossible to listen to. Then they started making them in 2.4 then and up to 5.0 and so on. They pretty much cured the ease dropping problem with scanner users.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 29 April 2016, 3:34 AM

d-minus wrote:I installed a ad-203 in a cobra29ltd I have it works great. But my mom calls me every time she is on the phone and I am talking on the radio with amp on. The phone is a land line not cordless. What can I do on my end or hers to cure this. Thanks. D-minus
Turn amp off when someones on the phone...problem solved.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Friday, 29 April 2016, 12:34 PM

jessejamesdallas wrote:
d-minus wrote:I installed a ad-203 in a cobra29ltd I have it works great. But my mom calls me every time she is on the phone and I am talking on the radio with amp on. The phone is a land line not cordless. What can I do on my end or hers to cure this. Thanks. D-minus
Turn amp off when someones on the phone...problem solved.

That's my Boy, right there! WTG, JJD!! :cheers:
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 29 April 2016, 14:20 PM

Just hope I didn't get to technical explaining how to fix the problem... :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

pabxone
Donor
Donor
Radio: NDI PC201
Antenna: 1/2 wave vertical
Name: Mark Anderson

Post by pabxone » Friday, 29 April 2016, 17:27 PM

d-minus wrote:I installed a ad-203 in a cobra29ltd I have it works great. But my mom calls me every time she is on the phone and I am talking on the radio with amp on. The phone is a land line not cordless. What can I put on my end or hers to cure this. Thanks. D-minus
You'll need to work out where the RF is getting into the Phone service.

Is the phone picking it up or is it the phone line picking it up or possibly both creating the problem ?

Try using an old POTS 2500 telephone set (The older the better - rotary dial if you can borrow one) If RF's gone - The phone handset or the phone handsets line cord are the issue.

If it is still there it's getting into the telephone cabling - most likely the internal cabling or possibly the underground or aerial feed to the building.
You will need to find the Point of Entry / Network Termination Device / Demarcation point (Or whatever you folks in the US call it) Where the building telephone cabling is connected to the Telco's feeder coming from the street.

Swing off the Telco's feeder and connect your 2500 set directly to the Telco feed - you should have dial tone and most likely the RF has gone thus proving the problem back into the premises - If the RF is still there - try another 2500 set or borrow a Buttinski off a friendly local Phone Technician and try it again - If the RF is still there and coming from the Telco side - You won't be able to do much about it.

If the RF is getting in via the buildings cable - Easiest way is to replace the complete run from the Point of entry to the Telephone socket in 4 wire shielded Telephone cable (It's 2 pair internal Telco cable with a braided ground shield wrapped around the outside of the 4 wires - similar to coax) You will need to connect both ends of the new cables shielding to a hard low resistance earth (preferably bonded to copper water pipes or dedicated earth stakes at both ends of the cable)
You may need to be a licenced Telphone cabler to run and connect the internal replacement cabling - Not sure about the US telco regs ? - Here in Australia you do need to be a licensed cabler to do that work.

If you have multiple telephone outlets that creates further issues, each cable run from the Telco Point of Entry to each telephone socket is by default an Antenna one or more of the cables could be picking up the RF , Best to try the initial tests with just one cable connected to see which one(s) are the culprit.

Other things to try that May or May not help :-
Connect a hard earth (Bonded to a water pipe or earth stake) to the Radio's chassis.
Use a Decent quality Low Pass Filter at the Radio.
Replace the coax from the radio to the Aerial - no cutting corners on the coax - The lower the loss / tighter the coax shielding etc etc the better
Wrap a few turns of the Telephones line cord tightly thru a decent large ferrite core , try also doing the same with the Telephones handset curly cord - (Cords = Little antenna's that may be resonant at 27Mhz)
Power the radio from a battery and not a mains power supply.
Strip the phone apart - paint the complete insides of the telephones body with conductive nickel paint and earth strap the top and bottom cases - then hard earth the whole thing - creating a Faraday Shield to stop any RF getting inside the phone.
Try a telephone line cord with a built in RF suppression module - They should still be available ? I have ton's of them here but they have the old Australian 605 telephone plugs on them and will be no use on US Western Electric sockets.

This is far from an exhaustive list - All these things are pretty easy to do, But some will be time consuming and in some cases expensive.

Someone else did suggest an easy way - Power Down the Amp - That could end up the best solution ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic