Super star 158 edx

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: bandit
Antenna: A 99
Radio: Galaxy 99 v

Super star 158 edx

Post by drew434 »

I have a super star 158 edx and it has a buzzing when volume is turned down I thank it has some thing do with the Frequency counter but not for sure on that radio thank you

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Re: Super star 158 edx

Post by jon6667 »

could be a bad cap on the frequency counter module. or a leaking cap is my best guess
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: bandit
Antenna: A 99
Radio: Galaxy 99 v

Post by drew434 »

that's what was thanking too but was not for sure one that radio it's different then the older galaxy radio thank you

[ Post made via Android ] Image
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

you might look at the wire routing to the freq counter. some times you ca reroute the wires from the others and the buzzing will stop. I had one a couple years ago that when you pulled the speaker cover the buzzing would stop and rerouted the wires and it fixed it.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

sonoma wrote: September 20th, 2017, 1:19 pm you might look at the wire routing to the freq counter. some times you ca reroute the wires from the others and the buzzing will stop. I had one a couple years ago that when you pulled the speaker cover the buzzing would stop and rerouted the wires and it fixed it.

Yep...I had a Galaxy 939 that had a buzzing sound...called Galaxy, they said to move the ribbon cable that go's to the back lit face plate away from the Mic jack (and wiring) and that should fix the problem..."It did!"

Wires ran next to the speaker or Mic jack can cause buzzing...Just cut the plastic tie-down loose and move the wires away from speaker wires and Mic wires.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

i have one. mine dont do that. but i dont use it anymore. ive gone ham.

i also have a stryker 955hp i dont use either. both are mint collectors quality
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

jessejamesdallas wrote: September 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm
sonoma wrote: September 20th, 2017, 1:19 pm you might look at the wire routing to the freq counter. some times you ca reroute the wires from the others and the buzzing will stop. I had one a couple years ago that when you pulled the speaker cover the buzzing would stop and rerouted the wires and it fixed it.

Yep...I had a Galaxy 939 that had a buzzing sound...called Galaxy, they said to move the ribbon cable that go's to the back lit face plate away from the Mic jack (and wiring) and that should fix the problem..."It did!"

Wires ran next to the speaker or Mic jack can cause buzzing...Just cut the plastic tie-down loose and move the wires away from speaker wires and Mic wires.
The manufacturer made this ribbon originally with a ferrite bead on it but toward the last of production they got cheap and stopped installing them. You can install a snap bead, about 5mm on the ribbon and it will cut the buzz out completely, just be careful not to pull on the ribbon, it can be easily broken.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

MDYoungblood wrote: October 10th, 2017, 3:10 pm
jessejamesdallas wrote: September 20th, 2017, 6:37 pm

The manufacturer made this ribbon originally with a ferrite bead on it but toward the last of production they got cheap and stopped installing them. You can install a snap bead, about 5mm on the ribbon and it will cut the buzz out completely, just be careful not to pull on the ribbon, it can be easily broken.

3's

Greg
Figures...Manufactures will stop at nothing cutting corners to save a nickel...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
ReedHill
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: ReedHill

Post by ReedHill »

What can you do. It's the way things work unfortunately.